Old 10-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Simon Fraser

Default 11.04 to 11.10 upgrade broken with LDAP active, and /tmp problems

Hi folks,

I have a read-only LDAP directory serving user information, and so
it's configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf and ldap.conf. Sadly this
appears to have broken the upgrade process to 11.10. 16 packages
failed, starting with lightdm and colord, and including several kernel
packages. Mostly to do with addgroup segfaulting, and the postinst
script returning 139.

I removed the ldap entries from nsswitch.conf and commented out the
entries in ldap.conf, and 'dpkg --configure -a' made all the packages
work.

Then, I couldn't log in with the GUI, even as a local user. I've
reinstated the LDAP entries, and even asking for a recovery console,
I'm unable to get past the login screen.

This appears to be because gnome-keyring-daemon is failing to create
the socket directory, with 'permission denied'. lightdm then closes my
session. /tmp appears to have the wrong permissions:

# ls -ald /tmp/
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 12288 2011-10-14 14:39 /tmp/

Fixing these permissions (chmod 777 /tmp; chmod +t /tmp) lets me log in.

Hope this is helpful for anyone else finding problems at the moment.

Simon.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Simon Fraser

On 14 October 2011 14:43, Simon Fraser <simonfr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a read-only LDAP directory serving user information, and so
> it's configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf and ldap.conf. Sadly this
> appears to have broken the upgrade process to 11.10. *16 packages
> failed, starting with lightdm and colord, and including several kernel
> packages. Mostly to do with addgroup segfaulting, and the postinst
> script returning 139.
>
> I removed the ldap entries from nsswitch.conf and commented out the
> entries in ldap.conf, and 'dpkg --configure -a' made all the packages
> work.

Further investigation has led me to discover that the nsswitch.conf
entry for ldap now requires an upper-case LDAP, whereas a lower-case
'ldap' was satisfactory, before. Adding a lower-case ldap to
nsswitch.conf causes libgcrypt.so to segfault, breaking many
applications. Upper-case appears to work.

Simon.