Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Bruce Pieterse

Default Downloading in Firefox stuck

On Thu 13 Oct 2011 18:27:38 SAST, Avi Greenbury wrote:

Colin Law wrote:

I am trying to download Oneiric iso in Firefox 7 and it has stuck at
478 of 695MB. I wonder what to do now. I have limited bandwidth so
don't want to start again unless necessary. I have waited an hour but
nothing is happening. FF is still going ok, it is just the download
that has got stuck.

If your bandwidth is limited, your best bet is probably to either
download it over bittorrent for the reliability and speed, or wait until
the rush is over (give it a few days), by which point you'll be able to
get more reliable HTTP connections to the various HTTP mirrors.

In fact, bittorrent is almost always the fastest and most reliable way
to get it, especially immediately post-release.

Colin,

If you click pause it should resume as I have just tested it. However
if you need to restart your internet connection you can pause it,
restart the connection and resume.

If you want to make sure that you don't lose your progress you can do
the following.

- Pause the download
- Copy the ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part as
ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part.bak

- Resume the download, if it fails to resume follow the next step
- Start the download again
- As soon as it starts, pause it and delete the
ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part or ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso
(sometimes the .part is not there)
- Copy ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part.bak as
ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part or ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso

- Resume Download

It has worked for me a few times, however the download will always
restart if the server doesn't support resuming.

I haven't tried this but you could also start a torrent download, pause
it after the download has begun, delete the file that was there,
replace it with your .part version, verify the download and the start
the download in your favourite torrent app.

I hope this helps you

Happy Downloading!

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 10-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Colin Law

On 13 October 2011 17:27, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>
>> I am trying to download Oneiric iso in Firefox 7 and it has stuck at
>> 478 of 695MB. I wonder what to do now. *I have limited bandwidth so
>> don't want to start again unless necessary. *I have waited an hour but
>> nothing is happening. *FF is still going ok, it is just the download
>> that has got stuck.
>>

> If your bandwidth is limited, your best bet is probably to either
> download it over bittorrent for the reliability and speed, or wait until
> the rush is over (give it a few days), by which point you'll be able to
> get more reliable HTTP connections to the various HTTP mirrors.
>
> In fact, bittorrent is almost always the fastest and most reliable way
> to get it, especially immediately post-release.

By bandwidth I meant monthly usage, rather than speed. The word
should not really mean monthly usage but it is commonly used in that
sense. If I understand bittorrnet correctly then my total usage would
be greater as it includes up and down traffic, and I would be both
receiving the file and supplying it to others at the same time.

Colin

Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Colin Law

On 13 October 2011 17:46, Bruce Pieterse <octoquadza@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu 13 Oct 2011 18:27:38 SAST, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>>
>> Colin Law wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to download Oneiric iso in Firefox 7 and it has stuck at
>>> 478 of 695MB. I wonder what to do now. *I have limited bandwidth so
>>> don't want to start again unless necessary. *I have waited an hour but
>>> nothing is happening. *FF is still going ok, it is just the download
>>> that has got stuck.
>>>

>> If your bandwidth is limited, your best bet is probably to either
>> download it over bittorrent for the reliability and speed, or wait until
>> the rush is over (give it a few days), by which point you'll be able to
>> get more reliable HTTP connections to the various HTTP mirrors.
>>
>> In fact, bittorrent is almost always the fastest and most reliable way
>> to get it, especially immediately post-release.
>>

> Colin,
> If you click pause it should resume as I have just tested it. However if you
> need to restart your internet connection you can pause it, restart the
> connection and resume.
>
> If you want to make sure that you don't lose your progress you can do the
> following.
>
> - Pause the download
> - Copy the ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part as
> ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part.bak
> - Resume the download, if it fails to resume follow the next step
> - Start the download again
> - As soon as it starts, pause it and delete the
> ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part or ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso
> (sometimes the .part is not there)
> - Copy ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part.bak as
> ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso.part or ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso
> - Resume Download
>
> It has worked for me a few times, however the download will always restart
> if the server doesn't support resuming.
>
> I haven't tried this but you could also start a torrent download, pause it
> after the download has begun, delete the file that was there, replace it
> with your .part version, verify the download and the start the download in
> your favourite torrent app.
>
> I hope this helps you

It certainly did, I paused the download, copied the part file just in
case, and resumed it and off it went again.
That has got to be a bug in FF I think. If pause and resume recovered
the situation then FF should have been clever enough to recover by
itself rather than sitting there for two hours doing nothing useful.
I shall certainly be checking the md5sum however, just in case it is not right.

Thanks

Colin

Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Ernest Doub

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 13 October 2011 17:27, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:

> Colin Law wrote:

>> I am trying to download Oneiric iso in Firefox 7 and it has stuck at

>> 478 of 695MB. I wonder what to do now. *I have limited bandwidth so

>> don't want to start again unless necessary. *I have waited an hour but

>> nothing is happening. *FF is still going ok, it is just the download

>> that has got stuck.

> If your bandwidth is limited, your best bet is probably to either

> download it over bittorrent for the reliability and speed, or wait until

> the rush is over (give it a few days), by which point you'll be able to

> get more reliable HTTP connections to the various HTTP mirrors.

> In fact, bittorrent is almost always the fastest and most reliable way

> to get it, especially immediately post-release.

By bandwidth I meant monthly usage, rather than speed. *The word

should not really mean monthly usage but it is commonly used in that

sense. *If I understand bittorrnet correctly then my total usage would

be greater as it includes up and down traffic, and I would be both

receiving the file and supplying it to others at the same time.

Colin

Check out Transmission for a bit torrent client.* Available through Ubuntu Software Center and it allows you to set maximum upload and download speeds.
--

“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the
problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball

Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Colin Law

On 13 October 2011 19:40, Ernest Doub <hideserted@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > If your bandwidth is limited, your best bet is probably to either
>> > download it over bittorrent for the reliability and speed, or wait until
>> > the rush is over (give it a few days), by which point you'll be able to
>> > get more reliable HTTP connections to the various HTTP mirrors.
>> >
>> > In fact, bittorrent is almost always the fastest and most reliable way
>> > to get it, especially immediately post-release.
>>
>> By bandwidth I meant monthly usage, rather than speed. *The word
>> should not really mean monthly usage but it is commonly used in that
>> sense. *If I understand bittorrnet correctly then my total usage would
>> be greater as it includes up and down traffic, and I would be both
>> receiving the file and supplying it to others at the same time.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>
> Check out Transmission for a bit torrent client.* Available through Ubuntu Software Center and it allows you to set maximum upload and download speeds.

That would not address the issue of adding to my total up/down GB
used, unless I set the upload very slow in which case I could,
justifiably, be regarded as a parasite on the torrent. Also I would
need to disconnect from the torrent once I had fetched it, which again
is against the principle of torrents.

Colin

Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Colin Law

Old 10-14-2011, 03:07 AM
"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin"

在 2011-10-13四的 16:50 +0100,Colin Law写道:
> I am trying to download Oneiric iso in Firefox 7 and it has stuck at
> 478 of 695MB. I wonder what to do now. I have limited bandwidth so
> don't want to start again unless necessary. I have waited an hour but
> nothing is happening. FF is still going ok, it is just the download
> that has got stuck.
>
> I could click Pause and Continue but am hesitating in case it just
> throws it all away.
>
> Colin
> --
> gplus.to/clanlaw

try some official ISO mirror near to you instead of Ubuntu website,and i
recommend "DownThemAll" addon - the 3rd downloader for firefox instead
of the browser build-in.

--
Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Colin Law

Top posting as not replying to all previous messages.
Thanks for the help everyone, I got it going by pausing and restarting.

Colin

Old 10-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Avi Greenbury

Colin Law wrote:

> That would not address the issue of adding to my total up/down GB
> used, unless I set the upload very slow in which case I could,
> justifiably, be regarded as a parasite on the torrent. Also I would
> need to disconnect from the torrent once I had fetched it, which again
> is against the principle of torrents.

You could set the upload speed to zero and you'll only ever download the
full size of the image.

It's not really against the principle of torrents per se, but it's very
much more in the principle of mirroring and is certainly more friendly
overall than pulling half a gig over HTTP.

--
Avi

Old 10-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Colin Law

On 14 October 2011 09:58, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>
>> That would not address the issue of adding to my total up/down GB
>> used, unless I set the upload very slow in which case I could,
>> justifiably, be regarded as a parasite on the torrent. *Also I would
>> need to disconnect from the torrent once I had fetched it, which again
>> is against the principle of torrents.
>
> You could set the upload speed to zero and you'll only ever download the
> full size of the image.
>
> It's not really against the principle of torrents per se, but it's very
> much more in the principle of mirroring and is certainly more friendly
> overall than pulling half a gig over HTTP.

OK, understood. I will do that next time.

Colin