Old 07-29-2007, 04:18 PM
"Luca Dionisi"

Default search (with beagle)

I'm missing a feature that I was used to use with fedora, where "it just works".
It is beagle.

I'm using Feisty.
I tried to "aptitude install beagle" but it does not
integrate well into the Ubuntu desktop.
When I do "Places -> Search for files" another tool is used.
I have got the real beagle UI in "Applications -> Accessories -> Search"
Furthermore it says my files are being indexed, but disks are idle
and nothing happens... never.
Oh, and it does not find any file. never.

Anyone still using Beagle? Or anyone willing to suggest other tools?
I'm open-minded.

TIA
--Luca

Old 07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Luca Dionisi wrote:

> I'm missing a feature that I was used to use with fedora, where "it just works".
> It is beagle.
>
> I'm using Feisty.
> I tried to "aptitude install beagle" but it does not
> integrate well into the Ubuntu desktop.
> When I do "Places -> Search for files" another tool is used.
> I have got the real beagle UI in "Applications -> Accessories -> Search"

Same for me. But I don't care about that since I always start beagle by
pressing F12.

> Furthermore it says my files are being indexed, but disks are idle
> and nothing happens... never.
> Oh, and it does not find any file. never.

Is the beagle-daemon started with your session? You should see two
entries in Settings/Sessions wrt to beagle.
Check whether beagle actually gets started.

> Anyone still using Beagle? Or anyone willing to suggest other tools?
> I'm open-minded.

I'm still using beagle and would still like it if it only provided the
web indexing through the firefox plugin.

Regards
mks