Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Chris G

Default DHCP not setting /etc/resolv.conf

I am trying out my new TP-Link TL-WR743ND Wireless Client router with a
laptop running Ubuntu 10.10. After a couple of minor configuration
issues I have it working as a WiFi client to my main WiFi, this is in
preparation for doing the same thing when it's on our boat using the
marina's WiFi.

One fundamental thing that I had to fix was to change its IP because
(not surprisingly) it didn't want to work with the same 192.168.1.x
subnet as the main WiFi/LAN. So it's now 192.168.13.1 and I have it
working.

However I'm currently having to manually edit /etc/resolv.conf every
time I start up because Network Manager is emptying it.

The TL-WR743ND is set up to provide DHCP and the settings look right to
me. It's working to the extent that it's giviing the client laptop I'm
using to test it an IP address of 192.168.13.100 which is the start of
the DHCP range in the TL-WR743ND. The default gateway is 192.168.13.1
and the primary DNS is 192.168.1.2 (I have a dnsmasq server for the
local LAN running there). But on rebooting I just get:-

# Generated by Network Manager

and nothing more in /etc/resolv.conf.

The client laptop is directly plugged in to one of teh LAN ports on the
TL-WR743ND and it has its wireless turned off so that *shouldn't* be interfering.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? It seems unlikely that
the DHCP server on the TL-WR743ND is that broken, is it?!

--
Chris Green

Old 10-12-2011, 10:05 AM
"compdoc"

>The TL-WR743ND is set up to provide DHCP and the settings look right to
>me. It's working to the extent that it's giviing the client laptop I'm
>using to test it an IP address of 192.168.13.100 which is the start of
>the DHCP range in the TL-WR743ND. The default gateway is 192.168.13.1
>and the primary DNS is 192.168.1.2 (I have a dnsmasq server for the
>local LAN running there).

While booting, there might not be a route to 192.168.1.2 - but that's just a
guess.

Why not set the router to hand out the same ip address for dns as the
gateway? The router will forward.