Old 10-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default update vs upgrade vs dist-upgrade vs do-release-upgrade

Hi,

We have ubuntu desktops and servers in our organization. Can some one
please help me understand "update vs upgrade vs dist-upgrade vs
do-release-upgrade"
on what conditions do i need to use these utilities if it is a desktop
or a server.

Please help me understand.

Regards,

Kaushal

Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 AM
"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin"

在 2011-10-12三的 08:18 +0530,Kaushal Shriyan写道:
> Hi,
>
> We have ubuntu desktops and servers in our organization. Can some one
> please help me understand "update vs upgrade vs dist-upgrade vs
> do-release-upgrade"
> on what conditions do i need to use these utilities if it is a desktop
> or a server.
>
> Please help me understand.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kaushal

why not have a look at the manual via "man apt-get"?

--
Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Avi Greenbury

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have ubuntu desktops and servers in our organization. Can some one
> please help me understand "update vs upgrade vs dist-upgrade vs
> do-release-upgrade"

In short:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool#Update.2C_upgrade_and_dist-upgrade

do-release-upgrade is aware of differences between releases, and so
generally does a better job of going from one release to another than
the traditional dist-upgrade

> on what conditions do i need to use these utilities if it is a desktop
> or a server.

Well, you use the one that does whatever it is you want to do.
Generally, each of apt-gt upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade and
do-release-upgrade requires an apt-get update first.

--
Avi