Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Douglas Saylor

Default iOS5 Safari "Reader" Linux equivilant

It's gotten to the point surfing the web is a better experience on my
iPhone vs my netbook. iOS5 has this "Reader" that takes web site &
reopens that text without all the superfluous ads & "Click here to
subscribe/Tweet/Like" floating on the side so I can't see what I want
to read. Surely I've simply never realized till now there is a way to
clean up all this BS & read the information I want, properly
formatted. So how DO I do that in Linux? I'm running Chrome if that
matters. Thanks!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Shaun ONeil

On 11 Oct 2011, at 19:06, Douglas Saylor wrote:

> It's gotten to the point surfing the web is a better experience on my
> iPhone vs my netbook. iOS5 has this "Reader" that takes web site &
> reopens that text without all the superfluous ads & "Click here to
> subscribe/Tweet/Like" floating on the side so I can't see what I want
> to read. Surely I've simply never realized till now there is a way to
> clean up all this BS & read the information I want, properly
> formatted. So how DO I do that in Linux? I'm running Chrome if that
> matters. Thanks!

You could do worse than to check out Readability; they have addons for most browsers (including firefox & chrome) - http://www.readability.com/addons

Instapaper seems to be another popular option. Again, web-based.

-- Shaun

Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Jared Greenwald

Have you tried AdBlock?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:37 AM
Douglas Saylor

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Shaun ONeil <shaun@oneil.me.uk> wrote:
> You could do worse than to check out Readability; they have addons for most browsers (including firefox & chrome) - http://www.readability.com/addons
>
> Instapaper seems to be another popular option. *Again, web-based.
>
> -- Shaun

Thanks Shaun gonna check it out!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 AM
Douglas Saylor

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Jared Greenwald
<greenwaldjared@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried AdBlock?

No, but I'm not looking to block ads with empty blocks of spaces
...I've tried similar.