-   -   ssh connection (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/585748-ssh-connection.html)

Verde Denim 10-10-2011 02:00 PM

ssh connection

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:

On 10 October 2011 13:01, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

> I used this this morning, except I wanted to see what happens if I cancel

> the dialog box. In this case, I get a message that says that the agent

> admits failure, but then I'm asked for the password for the account I am

> trying to login with. Is there something else I can change in sshd conf to

> prevent this (I only want to login with public/private keys)?

PasswordAuthentication no

Cheers,

Al.

Thanks, Al. I'll update this and give it another go...

Donkey Hottie 10-10-2011 06:22 PM

ssh connection

10.10.2011 17:00, Verde Denim kirjoitti:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com
> <mailto:alan@popey.com>> wrote:
>
> On 10 October 2011 13:01, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com
> <mailto:tdldev@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > I used this this morning, except I wanted to see what happens if I
> cancel
> > the dialog box. In this case, I get a message that says that the agent
> > admits failure, but then I'm asked for the password for the
> account I am
> > trying to login with. Is there something else I can change in sshd
> conf to
> > prevent this (I only want to login with public/private keys)?
> >

> PasswordAuthentication no
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
>
> Thanks, Al. I'll update this and give it another go...

# Change to yes to enable challenge-response passwords (beware issues with
# some PAM modules and threads)
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

--

Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker
will be

Lisi Reisz 10-02-2012 02:17 PM

ssh connection

I am trying to set up a small network of three machines to intercommunicate via ssh.* Machines B and C are running Squeeze with Trinity DE, machine A is running Lenny with KDE3.* (The other Squeeze machine turned up its toes and died this morning. :-(* So I had to bring poor old Lenny back on stream.)

I have been using Google to good effect for almost the whole process, about which I am a total ignoramus, but I have hit an impasse from which much Googling cannot extricate me.

I have machines A, B, C.* All three can ping each other and the router.

Machine A can ssh into both the other machines.* Machine C can ssh into both the other machines.* Machine B can ssh into Machine C, but not into Machine A.

I am now reluctant to do anything too drastic in case I kibosh even what I have got.

Anyone got any suggestions what I could try?* Could I supply more helpful data?* I have done a ssh -v and the result is below.

Thanks,
Lisi

lisi@Tux-II:~$ ssh lisi@192.168.0.8

Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer
lisi@Tux-II:~$ ssh -v lisi@192.168.0.8
OpenSSH_5.5p1 Debian-6+squeeze2, OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010

debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.0.8 [192.168.0.8] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/lisi/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/lisi/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1

debug1: identity file /home/lisi/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/lisi/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5
debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-5 pat OpenSSH*

debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.5p1 Debian-6+squeeze2
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent

Kelly Clowers 10-02-2012 04:46 PM

ssh connection

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Lisi Reisz <hantslug@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to set up a small network of three machines to intercommunicate
> via ssh. Machines B and C are running Squeeze with Trinity DE, machine A is
> running Lenny with KDE3. (The other Squeeze machine turned up its toes and
> died this morning. :-( So I had to bring poor old Lenny back on stream.)
>
> I have been using Google to good effect for almost the whole process, about
> which I am a total ignoramus, but I have hit an impasse from which much
> Googling cannot extricate me.
>
> I have machines A, B, C. All three can ping each other and the router.
>
> Machine A can ssh into both the other machines. Machine C can ssh into both
> the other machines. Machine B can ssh into Machine C, but not into Machine
> A.
>
> I am now reluctant to do anything too drastic in case I kibosh even what I
> have got.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions what I could try? Could I supply more helpful
> data? I have done a ssh -v and the result is below.

What does your sshd config file look like on A? Are you using RSA
certs for authentication?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Jochen Spieker 10-02-2012 08:24 PM

ssh connection

Kelly Clowers:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Lisi Reisz <hantslug@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone got any suggestions what I could try? Could I supply more helpful
>> data? I have done a ssh -v and the result is below.
>
> What does your sshd config file look like on A? Are you using RSA
> certs for authentication?

And additionally, what's on the server's log for the aborted log in?

J.
--
After the millenium I will shoot to kill.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Lisi Reisz 10-02-2012 08:53 PM

ssh connection

On 2 October 2012 21:24, Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

Kelly Clowers:

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Lisi Reisz <hantslug@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Anyone got any suggestions what I could try? *Could I supply more helpful

>> data? *I have done a ssh -v and the result is below.

> What does your sshd config file look like on A? Are you using RSA

> certs for authentication?

And additionally, what's on the server's log for the aborted log in?

I couldn't find one. *Not, I fear, the same thing as "there isn't one". :-( *Googling suggested that it would be called auth something, and I found files called auth something, but they were empty.

Thanks anyway,Lisi

J.

--

* * * * * * * * *<http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>

Jochen Spieker 10-02-2012 09:06 PM

ssh connection

Lisi Reisz:
> On 2 October 2012 21:24, Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
>>
>> And additionally, what's on the server's log for the aborted log in?
>
> I couldn't find one. Not, I fear, the same thing as "there isn't one". :-(
> Googling suggested that it would be called auth something, and I found
> files called auth something, but they were empty.

You were looking at the right place. /var/log/auth might contain
valuable information. You can try increasing the ssh daemon's verbosity
by setting LogLevel to DEBUG in sshd.conf.

J.
--
Americans have a better life.
[Agree] [Disagree]