Old 10-09-2011, 05:34 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Need advice: Ubuntu OCR techniques

I'm new to OCR (optical character reading), have never done it before.* Suddenly I have a need.

I've been diving through old papers and have found hard-copy (appears to be real Courier font, laser printed on white background) of a program I wrote decades ago on a Macintosh 512K in Lightspeed C.* I thought I had lost it completely.* I would like to recover it from the hard-copy without typing ~100 pages of code.* I have a scanner, and full Acrobat CS5 on a Windows machine, plus all the FOSS of Ubuntu (tesseract, gocr, plus anything useful in multiverse).* Does anybody know the fastest way to usable code from this situation?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Icarus Alive

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to OCR (optical character reading), have never done it before.
> Suddenly I have a need.
>
> I've been diving through old papers and have found hard-copy (appears to be
> real Courier font, laser printed on white background) of a program I wrote
> decades ago on a Macintosh 512K in Lightspeed C.* I thought I had lost it
> completely.* I would like to recover it from the hard-copy without typing
> ~100 pages of code.* I have a scanner, and full Acrobat CS5 on a Windows
> machine, plus all the FOSS of Ubuntu (tesseract, gocr, plus anything useful
> in multiverse).* Does anybody know the fastest way to usable code from this
> situation?

Use the power-of-the-cloud... Google docs can do OCR. For english
language printed text, scanned well, it works pretty well.
http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=176692

HTH,
Icarus

Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Doug

I'm new to OCR (optical character reading), have never
done it before.* Suddenly I have a need.

I've been diving through old papers and have found hard-copy
(appears to be real Courier font, laser printed on white
background) of a program I wrote decades ago on a Macintosh 512K
in Lightspeed C.* I thought I had lost it completely.* I would
like to recover it from the hard-copy without typing ~100 pages of
code.* I have a scanner, and full Acrobat CS5 on a Windows
machine, plus all the FOSS of Ubuntu (tesseract, gocr, plus
anything useful in multiverse).* Does anybody know the fastest way
to usable code from this situation?

--

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

On Windows I have an old Nuance program that works pretty well,
but it doesn't come cheap.

Also, Nuance will call you up on the phone and bother you every so
often.* There is

also Foxit Reader, and ABBYY Fine Reader. In any case, even tho it
works well, you will

have to proof-read everything very carefully. OCR programs are not
perfect.* Probably

someone will know of a Linux program, but in this case, you may
find you have to go

commercial to get the best performance.

NB:* When you scan, *make sure* that the page is absolutely
straight. Just a couple degrees

off of the vertical and the OCR goes to hell in a hurry.

--doug

Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Icarus Alive <icarus.alive@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to OCR (optical character reading), have never done it before.

> Suddenly I have a need.

> I've been diving through old papers and have found hard-copy (appears to be

> real Courier font, laser printed on white background) of a program I wrote

> decades ago on a Macintosh 512K in Lightspeed C.* I thought I had lost it

> completely.* I would like to recover it from the hard-copy without typing

> ~100 pages of code.* I have a scanner, and full Acrobat CS5 on a Windows

> machine, plus all the FOSS of Ubuntu (tesseract, gocr, plus anything useful

> in multiverse).* Does anybody know the fastest way to usable code from this

> situation?

Use the power-of-the-cloud... Google docs can do OCR. For english

language printed text, scanned well, it works pretty well.

http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=176692

Icarus (may your wings stay on),

Great idea.* I'll check it out.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 10-09-2011, 09:39 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Icarus Alive <icarus.alive@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to OCR (optical character reading), have never done it before.

> Suddenly I have a need.

> I've been diving through old papers and have found hard-copy (appears to be

> real Courier font, laser printed on white background) of a program I wrote

> decades ago on a Macintosh 512K in Lightspeed C.* I thought I had lost it

> completely.* I would like to recover it from the hard-copy without typing

> ~100 pages of code.* I have a scanner, and full Acrobat CS5 on a Windows

> machine, plus all the FOSS of Ubuntu (tesseract, gocr, plus anything useful

> in multiverse).* Does anybody know the fastest way to usable code from this

> situation?

Use the power-of-the-cloud... Google docs can do OCR. For english

language printed text, scanned well, it works pretty well.

http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=176692

Icarus (may your wings stay on),

Great idea.* I'll check it out.

I was unable to make it work.* I scanned one of the files as a 3-page TIFF file with Irfanview, and uploaded it to Google Docs.* I marked all the checkboxes for conversion, but did not get a text document.* I've marked it shared to all, and the link (for me) is

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B6pbHEZ ND52eZWNlZGQ4MmUtMTgwZi00MTQ3LWJkMTUtNzIzOTIwMWRlO WJk&hl=en_US
(modulo any folding)

Help?

--