Old 10-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Abhishek Dixit

Default ubuntu got uninstalled after a reboot how to recover

Hi,
in a surprising turn of events while I was working on my Ubuntu laptop
the OS got erased.
I rebooted the laptop after installing some fonts sudo apt-get
ttf-mscorefonts on Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit.
My Ubuntu installation was done via Wubi in a Windows partition.The
Windows partition on which Ubuntu was present root.disk and other
files
no more exist.I would like to tell that these Ubuntu disk files were
not deleted and neither windows was in use on this laptop,
the moment I installed mscorefonts and rebooted the laptop I noticed
every thing Ubuntu installation finished.
I thought of installting Ubuntu again on this one but then Wubi
detects previous installation and says it should first erase the
previous Ubuntu install.
How ever I noticed the driver where I had installed Ubuntu, any Ubuntu
file does not exist there.

1) So if wubi is detecting from where is it detecting?
2) Is it possible to recover the previous OS without formatting the hard drive?
I will loose a lot of settings and other things if I format the drive.

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> in a surprising turn of events while I was working on my Ubuntu laptop
> the OS got erased.
> I rebooted the laptop after installing some fonts sudo apt-get
> ttf-mscorefonts on Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit.
> My Ubuntu installation was done via Wubi in a Windows partition.The
> Windows partition on which Ubuntu was present root.disk and other
> files
> no more exist.I would like to tell that these Ubuntu disk files were
> not deleted and neither windows was in use on this laptop,
> the moment I installed mscorefonts and rebooted the laptop I noticed
> every thing Ubuntu installation finished.
> I thought of installting Ubuntu again on this one but then Wubi
> detects previous installation and says it should first erase the
> previous Ubuntu install.
> How ever I noticed the driver where I had installed Ubuntu, any Ubuntu
> file does not exist there.

Are you dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on the same computer?

It looks like your boot loader is being overwritten. Try booting using
the 11.04 LiveCD and check if all your data are still present.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> in a surprising turn of events while I was working on my Ubuntu laptop
>> the OS got erased.
>> I rebooted the laptop after installing some fonts sudo apt-get
>> ttf-mscorefonts on Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit.
>> My Ubuntu installation was done via Wubi in a Windows partition.The
>> Windows partition on which Ubuntu was present root.disk and other
>> files
>> no more exist.I would like to tell that these Ubuntu disk files were
>> not deleted and neither windows was in use on this laptop,
>> the moment I installed mscorefonts and rebooted the laptop I noticed
>> every thing Ubuntu installation finished.
>> I thought of installting Ubuntu again on this one but then Wubi
>> detects previous installation and says it should first erase the
>> previous Ubuntu install.
>> How ever I noticed the driver where I had installed Ubuntu, any Ubuntu
>> file does not exist there.
>
> Are you dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on the same computer?
Yes

> It looks like your boot loader is being overwritten.
No.
>Try booting using
> the 11.04 LiveCD and check if all your data are still present.
I tried all this all the partition which had root.disk files (which
were created wubi) are no more on the machine any more.