Old 10-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Amichai Rotman

Default User Friendly Re-installation App?

Hi,
I recently tried to change my shell to Gnome3 following this guide:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-gnome3-on-ubuntu-11-04-nattyubuntu-10-10-maverick.html

I don't like it and want to go back. I understand the only way is to re-install Natty from scratch (formatting the / partition) and restoring all installed apps after updating the fresh installation...

My current setup:
1. Ubuntu Natty2. A few extra PPA sources.3. Separate partitions for / (root) and /home.4. A separate hard disk containing backups.

I started to backup my settings and installations:
1. Copy the current /etc to the backup drive2. Dump my dpkg selections to a file (sudo dpkg --get-selections > installedpackages).

3. Copy the /usr/local folder to the backup drive.*This got me thinking: What if I forget something? How important it is to backup the /usr/share folder?
Wouldn't be nice to have some script / GUI app that I run before the re-installation by choosing "Backup System State" and after the fresh installation and updates and choose "Restore System"?

Is there such an app?
I'd like to create a cool bash script to run, can you suggest the steps (what to backup?)
Thanks!
Amichai.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 8 October 2011 19:32, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently tried to change my shell to Gnome3 following this guide:
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-gnome3-on-ubuntu-11-04-nattyubuntu-10-10-maverick.html
> I don't like it and want to go back. I understand the only way is to
> re-install Natty from scratch (formatting the / partition) and restoring all
> installed apps after updating the fresh installation...
Use ppa-purge.

Funnily enough, it's already mentioned in the link you have posted.