Old 10-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Larry Shields

Default SATA Hard drive problem...

Here is my second problem, I just bought a 320 sata internal hd, now I look at the status of this drive by using ubuntu's System>Administration>Disk Utility program, it show that the drive is in good health, but when I try to assess it it tells me that it is busy...I called WD about the problem, the tech told me that the drive needs to be formatted but now this is a problem since I do not have any WINDOSE CD or software to format this new hard drive...I even tried it using the Disk Utility program, but again it says that it is busy and I can not access it...I've never had a problem like this before, and have no-idea as too what I can do so that I can use this new HD, if there is nothing that anyone can suggest, then I am going to take it back too Best Buy...I will not go out and buy WIN XP just to get it working...

Thanks again for any help...

Larry

Old 10-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Conny Enström

[...]

*

unmount the drive and use gparted to format the drive with ext3
filesystem. Or NTFS or what ever you want.

In Linux you must unmount a drive to format it.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Larry Shields

[...]

Thank you for the reply, I will see what happens...
Thanks Larry