Old 10-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Larry Shields

Default Can not boot from grub menu...

Well it seems that I have a two problems, but first this one, when I bootup my system I used to get a choice of which HD I wanted to start, now upon booting up, the menu no-longer appears, and the system just gives me a blank screen...Could it be that the MBR has messed up for this not to work...??? If so how can I fix the mbr..???

If nothing can be done then as much as I hate too, I will just re-install ubuntu again...

Thanks for any help on this matter...

Larry

Old 10-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Conny Enström

*Well it seems that I have a two problems, but first this one, when I
bootup my system I used to get a choice of which HD I wanted to start,
now upon booting up, the menu no-longer appears, and the system just
gives me a blank screen...Could it be that the MBR has messed up for
this not to work...??? If so how can I fix the mbr..???

If nothing can be done then as much as I hate too, I will just
re-install ubuntu again...

Thanks for any help on this matter...

Larry

*

If I ask google "fix mbr from grub menu"
It end up with this: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-24113.html

Old 10-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Amrit Pal Pathak

2011/10/8 Conny Enström <uncurbed@swipnet.se>:
> 2011-10-08 18:00, Larry Shields skrev:
>>
>> *Well it seems that I have a two problems, but first this one, when I
>> bootup my system I used to get a choice of which HD I wanted to start,
>> now upon booting up, the menu no-longer appears, and the system just
>> gives me a blank screen...Could it be that the MBR has messed up for
>> this not to work...??? If so how can I fix the mbr..???
>>
>> If nothing can be done then as much as I hate too, I will just
>> re-install ubuntu again...
if that is the option then you can first recover your data and then
re-install it.
See
http://amritpalpathak.blogspot.com/2011/07/black-login-screen-at-ubuntu-boot-up.html

--
Thanks
Regards

Old 10-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Larry Shields

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Amrit Pal Pathak <amritpalpathak1@gmail.com> wrote:

2011/10/8 Conny Enström <uncurbed@swipnet.se>:

> 2011-10-08 18:00, Larry Shields skrev:

>> *Well it seems that I have a two problems, but first this one, when I

>> bootup my system I used to get a choice of which HD I wanted to start,

>> now upon booting up, the menu no-longer appears, and the system just

>> gives me a blank screen...Could it be that the MBR has messed up for

>> this not to work...??? If so how can I fix the mbr..???

>> If nothing can be done then as much as I hate too, I will just

>> re-install ubuntu again...

if that is the option then you can first recover your data and then

re-install it.

See

http://amritpalpathak.blogspot.com/2011/07/black-login-screen-at-ubuntu-boot-up.html

--

Thanks

Regards

Amrit Pal

amritpalpathak.blogspot.com

Well that did not tell me really anything, but I was hoping to find out how to make the HD bootable again even after a fresh install it still will not show me the menu giving me the choice which HD I want to use...

Thanks for the reply - - Larry

Old 10-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Avi Greenbury

Larry Shields wrote:

> *Well it seems that I have a two problems, but first this one, when I
> bootup my system I used to get a choice of which HD I wanted to
> start, now upon booting up, the menu no-longer appears, and the
> system just gives me a blank screen...Could it be that the MBR has
> messed up for this not to work...??? If so how can I fix the mbr..???
>
> If nothing can be done then as much as I hate too, I will just
> re-install ubuntu again...

A reinstall is highly unlikely to be necessary - an error that early
is a problem with some part of the process prior to booting the
kernel, and that's just a series of independent steps which pass bits
off to each other. If it's any lower-level than Grub then a reinstall
wont help, and if the problem is in grub then you may as well just fix
grub rather than clobber the rest of an otherwise-functioning system.

That menu that gave you a choice of HD, do you know if it was literally
a choice of HD (i.e. from the BIOS) or a choice of Operating System
(even if those OSes were on different disks) (i.e. from Grub)?

Will the system boot off a LiveCD?

--
Avi

Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Larry Shields

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:

Larry Shields wrote:

> *Well it seems that I have a two problems, but first this one, when I

> bootup my system I used to get a choice of which HD I wanted to

> start, now upon booting up, the menu no-longer appears, and the

> system just gives me a blank screen...Could it be that the MBR has

> messed up for this not to work...??? If so how can I fix the mbr..???

> If nothing can be done then as much as I hate too, I will just

> re-install ubuntu again...

A reinstall is highly unlikely to be necessary - an error that early

is a problem with some part of the process prior to booting the

kernel, and that's just a series of independent steps which pass bits

off to each other. If it's any lower-level than Grub then a reinstall

wont help, and if the problem is in grub then you may as well just fix

grub rather than clobber the rest of an otherwise-functioning system.

That menu that gave you a choice of HD, do you know if it was literally

a choice of HD (i.e. from the BIOS) or a choice of Operating System

(even if those OSes were on different disks) (i.e. from Grub)?

Will the system boot off a LiveCD?

--

Avi

The menu was from the BIOS as to what drive or device to first, second, third to boot from, I had made sure it was the FIRST, yet upon booting it up, it gave me the Reboot and Select the proper Boot Device, so that tells me that it sees my HD in the BIOS, but it will now not boot from it...I do not see anything of a choice of OS at all...

The system will boot from the Live CD yes, but not the hard drive...

Thanks for the reply - - Larry