Old 07-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Nelson do Vale Oliveira

Default help needed, driver and lang

Well, I am running Ubuntu 7.04 in HP DV 9000 without trouble. I am aware
though that sometimes it is necessary to install proprietary driver. I
suggest that if you have problems even after you enable the restricted
drivers, you should install the Automatix and let it do the job for you.
Take a look at www.getautomatix.com . It is a really handy tool at least
for a beginner like me.

I am sorry, but i cannot help on the arabic characters.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Alex Janssen

Shinichi Kodo said the following on 07/28/2007 07:39 PM:
> i recently purchased an Hp laptop Dv2000 series .. and i formatted it,
> then i installed ubuntu on it .. and am having a problem with some of
> the drivers since i cant seem to install them ..
>
> plus i cant seem to write in arabic using the current keyboard layout
> am not sure if i installed the operating system correctly.
>

> thus, am in need of assistance.. if anyone can help i'd be thankful
>
> thank you kindly in advance,
> Regards.
>
> Shinichi

> See what you’re getting into…before you go there. Check it out!
> <http://newlivehotmail.com>
See this web site : http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hp.html
Select HP on the first page.
On the resulting page, scroll down to HP DV2000 or DV2000t. The "t"
shows Ubuntu 6.06 installed. Select it and read the help.
I run Ubuntu 7.04 on a Dell 1501 laptop. Everything worked, but the
wireless, out-of-the-box. I had to install ndiswrapper, then us it to
install the Window$ driver that came with the computer to get maximum
performance from the wireless. You may have to install a video or
wireless driver your self. Just follow the instructions posted for each
driver. If the hardware manufacturers would support GNU Linux like they
support Window$, we would have no problems like this. It is worth the
effort, though.

Use Google or Yahoo to search for "arabic ubuntu". You should find many
pages on the subject, like
http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/doc/2006/January/msg00000.html and
many more.
Read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Arabic?highlight=%28arabic%29

Best of luck to you.
HTH,
Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
Anyone can win, unless there happens to be a second entry. (36)