Old 07-29-2007, 11:47 AM
larry shields

Default dual boot winxp installed afterwards

James Takac wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> The above is what I'm looking into for a friend, i.e. installing win xp on a
> sys that already has ubuntu 7.04 up and running. I know that will wipe out
> the grub loader meaning only winxp will bott but ubuntu will be intact
> otherwise. Is it pos to reinstall grub from the live cd? Or maybe need a live
> cd from another distro to do that? Or maybe there's some other way?
>
> James

I am running Feisty Fawn 7.04, and on one hard drive, what I did was too
install WinXP FIRST!,
then install Ubuntu...When it boots up Ubuntu's grub shows both XP &
Ubuntu, it detected XP with no-problems what so ever...

But if one installs Ubuntu, then XP you will have to go through alot to
have grub see XP...

My suggestion is to install XP as mentioned in the above FIRST...

Larry

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 7.04 Feisty Fawn

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Felix Miata

On 2007/07/29 06:47 (GMT-0500) larry shields apparently typed:

It does not have to be that way: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html
--
"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,
rebuking, correcting, and training in righteoousness."

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Old 07-29-2007, 01:00 PM
James Takac

On Sunday 29 July 2007 21:47:56 larry shields wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > The above is what I'm looking into for a friend, i.e. installing win xp
> > on a sys that already has ubuntu 7.04 up and running. I know that will
> > wipe out the grub loader meaning only winxp will bott but ubuntu will be
> > intact otherwise. Is it pos to reinstall grub from the live cd? Or maybe
> > need a live cd from another distro to do that? Or maybe there's some
> > other way?
> >
> > James
>
> I am running Feisty Fawn 7.04, and on one hard drive, what I did was too
> install WinXP FIRST!,
> then install Ubuntu...When it boots up Ubuntu's grub shows both XP &
> Ubuntu, it detected XP with no-problems what so ever...
>
> But if one installs Ubuntu, then XP you will have to go through alot to
> have grub see XP...
>
> My suggestion is to install XP as mentioned in the above FIRST...
>
> Larry
>
> --
> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
> by Ubuntu ver 7.04 Feisty Fawn
> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 31yr's A.R.O.
>
> "This is Linux Country,
> on a quiet night you can hear
> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>
> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net

Hi Larry

I would've had the original intention been to have windows on it. It was going
to be an ubuntu only sys but his needs changed as it were

Old 07-29-2007, 01:02 PM
James Takac

On Sunday 29 July 2007 22:04:52 Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2007/07/29 06:47 (GMT-0500) larry shields apparently typed:
> > But if one installs Ubuntu, then XP you will have to go through alot to
> > have grub see XP...
>
> It does not have to be that way:
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html --
> "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,
> rebuking, correcting, and training in righteoousness."
> 2 Timothy 3:16 NIV
>
> Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>
> Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

Hi Felix

Yeah, 1st link sent on the list shows a few simple steps. Almost painless
actually Didn't think it would be that simple