Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 PM
MICHAEL J MARCINIAK

Default Eye TV Hybrid (MAC Version)

Ok, I found software for viewing (ME TV) which runs on Ubuntu.
I have a .fw Firmware file placed where it belongs, but ME TV doesn't recognize the stick.
Digging around, the Eye is basically a Happuage 950 device.

Do I have to "activate" the .fw Firmware file, or is it just supposed to be recognized?

Thanks

Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Nils Kassube

MICHAEL J MARCINIAK wrote:
> Ok, I found software for viewing (ME TV) which runs on Ubuntu.
> I have a .fw Firmware file placed where it belongs, but ME TV doesn't
> recognize the stick. Digging around, the Eye is basically a Happuage
> 950 device.

By "Happuage 950 device", I suppose you mean HVR-950. Just to confirm if
you have the right firmware file at the right place, according to [1] it
should be a file "/lib/firmware/xc3028-v27.fw". And on the same page
they say that you need "a recent snapshot of LinuxTV's v4l-dvb drivers".
Do you have them installed?

To verify that the firmware gets loaded, please unplug the device and
then run the command

tail -n0 -f /var/log/messages

in a terminal. Now plug it in again and check the messages. Among them
should be something like "downloading firmware from file xc3028-v27.fw".
You can press Ctrl-C to stop the tail command. Now check that you have a
directory "/dev/dvb/adapter0". If you have that directory, you should be
able to receive digital TV. Probably you should first scan for available
channels, but I can't tell you how to do that with me-tv.

> Do I have to "activate" the .fw Firmware file, or is it just supposed
> to be recognized?

No need to activate anything. If you have a working driver and the
firmware at the right place, the kernel should handle everything on its
own when you insert the device.

Nils

[1] <http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-950>