Old 10-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Chris G

Default Looking for a web form creating application for sqlite or mysql

I want to create some data entry forms for use on web pages to enter
data into an sqlite database. I could also easily enough migrate to a
mySql database.

It only needs to be very basic, I want it to provide a form that will
simply allow entry of data in a format on the screen that reflects the
columns and rows of the database.

I.e. if the database has, say, five columns I want a form that looks
something like:-

Col1Row1 Col2Row1 Col3Row1 Col4Row1 Col5Row1
Col1Row2 Col2Row2 Col3Row2 Col4Row2 Col5Row2
Col1Row3 Col2Row3 Col3Row3 Col4Row3 Col5Row3
Col1Row4 Col2Row4 Col3Row4 Col4Row4 Col5Row4
Col1Row5 Col2Row5 Col3Row5 Col4Row5 Col5Row5
Col1Row6 Col2Row6 Col3Row6 Col4Row6 Col5Row6
New Data New Data New Data New Data New Data

Obviously there will need to be some customisation/configuration but if
I can effectively define what is shown by specifying the database
columns as I want then that should be it.

--
Chris Green

Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Avi Greenbury

Chris G wrote:

> Obviously there will need to be some customisation/configuration but
> if I can effectively define what is shown by specifying the database
> columns as I want then that should be it.

Three options that come to mind are:

1) Write an interface in PHP or similar. You'll get exactly what you
want, but will probably need to learn something. It's not *hard*, but
there may be several new things to understand.

2) Use a spreadsheet app, save the filled-in form as a CSV and then
import that into whatever db you want.

3) Use a db admin app (like PHPMyAdmin) with a user granted only those
permissions needed (just inserts?). Bit messy, but nice and quick.

--
Avi

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Colin Law

On 4 October 2011 22:32, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> I want to create some data entry forms for use on web pages to enter
> data into an sqlite database. *I could also easily enough migrate to a
> mySql database.
>
> It only needs to be very basic, I want it to provide a form that will
> simply allow entry of data in a format on the screen that reflects the
> columns and rows of the database.
>
> I.e. if the database has, say, five columns I want a form that looks
> something like:-
>
> * *Col1Row1 * *Col2Row1 * * * *Col3Row1 * * * *Col4Row1 * * * *Col5Row1
> * *Col1Row2 * *Col2Row2 * * * *Col3Row2 * * * *Col4Row2 * * * *Col5Row2
> * *Col1Row3 * *Col2Row3 * * * *Col3Row3 * * * *Col4Row3 * * * *Col5Row3
> * *Col1Row4 * *Col2Row4 * * * *Col3Row4 * * * *Col4Row4 * * * *Col5Row4
> * *Col1Row5 * *Col2Row5 * * * *Col3Row5 * * * *Col4Row5 * * * *Col5Row5
> * *Col1Row6 * *Col2Row6 * * * *Col3Row6 * * * *Col4Row6 * * * *Col5Row6
> * *New Data * *New Data * * * *New Data * * * *New Data * * * *New Data
>
> Obviously there will need to be some customisation/configuration but if
> I can effectively define what is shown by specifying the database
> columns as I want then that should be it.

If this is more than a once in a lifetime requirement then have a look
at Ruby on Rails. Someone with a small amount of experience in RoR
would knock up an app like that in about 10 minutes. Also if you
suspect that this will actually turn out to be something that will be
developed and extended then definitely look ar RoR, the initial
learning time will be repaid many many times over. There is a good
tutorial at railstutorial.org (free to use online) that you could look
at to get a feel for what it is all about.

Colin

> --
> Chris Green

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Chris G

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 12:11:58AM +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
>
> > Obviously there will need to be some customisation/configuration but
> > if I can effectively define what is shown by specifying the database
> > columns as I want then that should be it.
>
> Three options that come to mind are:
>
> 1) Write an interface in PHP or similar. You'll get exactly what you
> want, but will probably need to learn something. It's not *hard*, but
> there may be several new things to understand.

Yes, I could do that, but it really surprises me that there aren't *any*
ready made applications.

> 2) Use a spreadsheet app, save the filled-in form as a CSV and then
> import that into whatever db you want.

Very clumsy and not usable across the web. It's the *data entry* on the
web that I'm after.

> 3) Use a db admin app (like PHPMyAdmin) with a user granted only those
> permissions needed (just inserts?). Bit messy, but nice and quick.

PHPMyAdmin (and it's close relatives) are aimed at managing the database
and tables rather than entering data. I've already tried two or three
of them and they're *horribly* clumsy to use for simply entering data
into a table.

--
Chris Green

Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Chris G

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 08:22:17AM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 4 October 2011 22:32, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > I want to create some data entry forms for use on web pages to enter
> > data into an sqlite database. *I could also easily enough migrate to a
> > mySql database.
> >
> > It only needs to be very basic, I want it to provide a form that will
> > simply allow entry of data in a format on the screen that reflects the
> > columns and rows of the database.
> >
> > I.e. if the database has, say, five columns I want a form that looks
> > something like:-
> >
> > * *Col1Row1 * *Col2Row1 * * * *Col3Row1 * * * *Col4Row1 * * * *Col5Row1
> > * *Col1Row2 * *Col2Row2 * * * *Col3Row2 * * * *Col4Row2 * * * *Col5Row2
> > * *Col1Row3 * *Col2Row3 * * * *Col3Row3 * * * *Col4Row3 * * * *Col5Row3
> > * *Col1Row4 * *Col2Row4 * * * *Col3Row4 * * * *Col4Row4 * * * *Col5Row4
> > * *Col1Row5 * *Col2Row5 * * * *Col3Row5 * * * *Col4Row5 * * * *Col5Row5
> > * *Col1Row6 * *Col2Row6 * * * *Col3Row6 * * * *Col4Row6 * * * *Col5Row6
> > * *New Data * *New Data * * * *New Data * * * *New Data * * * *New Data
> >
> > Obviously there will need to be some customisation/configuration but if
> > I can effectively define what is shown by specifying the database
> > columns as I want then that should be it.
>
> If this is more than a once in a lifetime requirement then have a look
> at Ruby on Rails. Someone with a small amount of experience in RoR
> would knock up an app like that in about 10 minutes. Also if you
> suspect that this will actually turn out to be something that will be
> developed and extended then definitely look ar RoR, the initial
> learning time will be repaid many many times over. There is a good
> tutorial at railstutorial.org (free to use online) that you could look
> at to get a feel for what it is all about.

OK, thanks, if I do go down the do it myself route I will take a look at
RoR.

--
Chris Green

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Avi Greenbury

Chris G wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 12:11:58AM +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> > Chris G wrote:
> >
> > > Obviously there will need to be some customisation/configuration
> > > but if I can effectively define what is shown by specifying the
> > > database columns as I want then that should be it.
> >
> > Three options that come to mind are:
> >
> > 1) Write an interface in PHP or similar. You'll get exactly what you
> > want, but will probably need to learn something. It's not *hard*,
> > but there may be several new things to understand.
> >
> Yes, I could do that, but it really surprises me that there aren't
> *any* ready made applications.

Yeah, the problem here is that it's a very specific use-case (it's not
often that you want to fill in a db table with data straight from a
human) and, in any case, it's something that's pretty quick for
someone who does know how to do it to knock up. Anyone with even just
a passing familiarity with any sort of web development is likely to get
something working within ten minutes or so and something relatively
polished in under an hour.

> > 2) Use a spreadsheet app, save the filled-in form as a CSV and then
> > import that into whatever db you want.
> >
> Very clumsy and not usable across the web. It's the *data entry* on
> the web that I'm after.

You could use something like Google docs?

> > 3) Use a db admin app (like PHPMyAdmin) with a user granted only
> > those permissions needed (just inserts?). Bit messy, but nice and
> > quick.
> >
> PHPMyAdmin (and it's close relatives) are aimed at managing the
> database and tables rather than entering data. I've already tried
> two or three of them and they're *horribly* clumsy to use for simply
> entering data into a table.

Yeah, like I say, entering data straight into a db table isn't normally
what's wanted; generally there's a bunch of tedium to be done to the
data by the computer first.

--
Avi

Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Chris G

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 09:40:17AM +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> > > 3) Use a db admin app (like PHPMyAdmin) with a user granted only
> > > those permissions needed (just inserts?). Bit messy, but nice and
> > > quick.
> > >
> > PHPMyAdmin (and it's close relatives) are aimed at managing the
> > database and tables rather than entering data. I've already tried
> > two or three of them and they're *horribly* clumsy to use for simply
> > entering data into a table.
>
> Yeah, like I say, entering data straight into a db table isn't normally
> what's wanted; generally there's a bunch of tedium to be done to the
> data by the computer first.

Well MS Access (spit!) provides *exactly* what I need in two different
ways, so some people seem to want it! :-)

If you simply display the table in the tables tab in Access you can
enter data row by row as I want.

If you use the forms wizard to create a 'tabular' form it provides
what I want, with the additional ability to do a bit of tuning.

If I could use Access to create forms for use in a web page I could do
what I want with very little effort.

--
Chris Green

Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Colin Law

On 5 October 2011 11:52, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>> > PHPMyAdmin (and it's close relatives) are aimed at managing the
>> > database and tables rather than entering data. *I've already tried
>> > two or three of them and they're *horribly* clumsy to use for simply
>> > entering data into a table.
>>
>> Yeah, like I say, entering data straight into a db table isn't normally
>> what's wanted; generally there's a bunch of tedium to be done to the
>> data by the computer first.
>>
> Well MS Access (spit!) provides *exactly* what I need in two different
> ways, so some people seem to want it! *:-)
>
> * *If you simply display the table in the tables tab in Access you can
> * *enter data row by row as I want.
>
> * *If you use the forms wizard to create a 'tabular' form it provides
> * *what I want, with the additional ability to do a bit of tuning.
>
> If I could use Access to create forms for use in a web page I could do
> what I want with very little effort.

That is only because you already know Access. If you already knew RoR
then again you could do it with very little effort. There are
features that will auto generate the forms for you as Access does.
Just define what you want in the table and it will do the rest.

Colin

Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Billie Walsh

Several years ago I needed to make a simple form for a website. A little
effort and some tutorials and I had a nice form done in simple HTML. The
form I needed e-mailed me the input, but there are many options if your
server supports them.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_form.asp

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=HTML+forms&ie=ut f-8&oe=utf-8

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 12:06:17PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> >> Yeah, like I say, entering data straight into a db table isn't normally
> >> what's wanted; generally there's a bunch of tedium to be done to the
> >> data by the computer first.
> >>
> > Well MS Access (spit!) provides *exactly* what I need in two different
> > ways, so some people seem to want it! *:-)
> >
> > * *If you simply display the table in the tables tab in Access you can
> > * *enter data row by row as I want.
> >
> > * *If you use the forms wizard to create a 'tabular' form it provides
> > * *what I want, with the additional ability to do a bit of tuning.
> >
> > If I could use Access to create forms for use in a web page I could do
> > what I want with very little effort.
>
> That is only because you already know Access. If you already knew RoR
> then again you could do it with very little effort. There are
> features that will auto generate the forms for you as Access does.
> Just define what you want in the table and it will do the rest.

OK, I'll definitely take a look then. Looking at what's available "off
the shelf" for Ubuntu I see that Django purports to be RoR in Python.
As I already know and like python I might got that way but I'll
investigate further first.

--
Chris Green