Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Per Carlson

Default how to change DNS settings network manager over writes every thing

> Given the situation what are my options?

You can override the DHCP assigned options by tweaking dhclient.conf.
Check out the man page.

--
Pelle

RFC1925, truth 11:
*Every old idea will be proposed again with a different name and
*a different presentation, regardless of whether it works.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Abhishek Dixit

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 4 October 2011 14:26, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am facing problem in using my internet so as per recommendations here
>> http://www.indiabroadband.net/broadband-how/29007-how-get-max-speed-connection.html
>> I have to change my DNS settings to
>> Open DNS
>> Preferred DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
>> Alternate DNS Server: 208.67.220.220
>> or Google DNS
>> Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
>> Alternate DNS Server: 8.8.4.4
>>
>> here comes my problem,I went to wifi signal icon at top right hand
>> cornet adjacent to volume icon in tool bar upon clicking
>> edit connections-->wireless-->my connection
>> all the options with respect to settings were greyed out.So I could
>> not do it in GUI.
>
> On that dialog did you try to set the Method select box to 'Manual' or
> is this also greyed out? *That is on IPV4 tab.
>
> Colin
>
> --
Its greyed out.

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Colin Law

On 4 October 2011 20:12, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 4 October 2011 14:26, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am facing problem in using my internet so as per recommendations here
>>> http://www.indiabroadband.net/broadband-how/29007-how-get-max-speed-connection.html
>>> I have to change my DNS settings to
>>> Open DNS
>>> Preferred DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
>>> Alternate DNS Server: 208.67.220.220
>>> or Google DNS
>>> Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
>>> Alternate DNS Server: 8.8.4.4
>>>
>>> here comes my problem,I went to wifi signal icon at top right hand
>>> cornet adjacent to volume icon in tool bar upon clicking
>>> edit connections-->wireless-->my connection
>>> all the options with respect to settings were greyed out.So I could
>>> not do it in GUI.
>>
>> On that dialog did you try to set the Method select box to 'Manual' or
>> is this also greyed out? *That is on IPV4 tab.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
> Its greyed out.

I don't know whether this is a valid question or not, but is the user
you are logged on as an administrator?

Alternatively, which version of Ubuntu are you using and is it all up
to date? Run Update Manager and click Check to see. I ask this as
there is at least one bug in Launchpad which sounds similar to your
issue, but this was fixed some time ago.

Do you see the same issue on the wired connection?

On a side note I doubt very much if you will see any noticeable
improvement using alternative DNS servers.

Colin

Old 10-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 4 October 2011 20:12, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On that dialog did you try to set the Method select box to 'Manual' or
>>> is this also greyed out? *That is on IPV4 tab.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>>> --
>> Its greyed out.
>
> I don't know whether this is a valid question or not, but is the user
> you are logged on as an administrator?
I am logged in with the account which was created during the installation.
If this is different from admin account then what should I do?
I only have one user account on my system and I can do sudo on command
line with it to work.

> Alternatively, which version of Ubuntu are you using and is it all up
> to date?
It is 11.04

>Run Update Manager and click Check to see. *I ask this as
> there is at least one bug in Launchpad which sounds similar to your
> issue, but this was fixed some time ago.

Ok on my update manager following packages are to be updated

-> Safe and easy browser from Mozilla
-> Unity app menu integration for firefox
-> safe and easy browser from Mozilla -Gnome support
-> English language pack for firefox
-> enhanced multithread support syslogd
-> Ubuntu specific configuration defaults and apt support for firefox

I hope any of the above is irrelevant for my problem.Since the
connection is damn slow so downloading 17 Mb will take more than an
hour.

> Do you see the same issue on the wired connection?

No I do not see the same issue on the wired connection.

> On a side note I doubt very much if you will see any noticeable
> improvement using alternative DNS servers.

I understand.It might be poor quality of service by ISP but to be able
to debug it I noticed this.

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Colin Law

On 5 October 2011 06:22, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Its greyed out.
>>
>> I don't know whether this is a valid question or not, but is the user
>> you are logged on as an administrator?
> I am logged in with the account which was created during the installation.
> If this is different from admin account then what should I do?
> I only have one user account on my system and I can do sudo on command
> line with it to work.
>
>> Alternatively, which version of Ubuntu are you using and is it all up
>> to date?
> It is 11.04
>
>>Run Update Manager and click Check to see. *I ask this as
>> there is at least one bug in Launchpad which sounds similar to your
>> issue, but this was fixed some time ago.
>
> Ok on my update manager following packages are to be updated
>
> -> Safe and easy browser from Mozilla
> -> Unity app menu integration for firefox
> -> safe and easy browser from Mozilla -Gnome support
> -> English language pack for firefox
> -> enhanced multithread support syslogd
> -> Ubuntu specific configuration defaults and apt support for firefox
>
> I hope any of the above is irrelevant for my problem.Since the
> connection is damn slow so downloading 17 Mb will take more than an
> hour.
>
>> Do you see the same issue on the wired connection?
>
> No I do not see the same issue on the wired connection.

Sorry I am out of ideas, except that some (including myself) who have
had problems with Network Manager have had better results with wicd.
You could install that and give it a go. I think it is only a few
hundred kB download and is very easy to setup.

One other final thought, is Available to All Users checked for the
connection? If so, and if not greyed out, then try clearing it.

Colin

>> On a side note I doubt very much if you will see any noticeable
>> improvement using alternative DNS servers.
>
> I understand.It might be poor quality of service by ISP but to be able
> to debug it I noticed this.
>

> --
> Regards
> Abhi

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Frank

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 18:56 +0530, Abhishek Dixit wrote:

> I have to change my DNS settings to
> Open DNS
> Preferred DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
> Alternate DNS Server: 208.67.220.220

> Given the situation what are my options?

An option is to configure your router's DHCP server in order to assign
the desired DNS addresses to the connecting client.

What router/wireless acces point are you using?