Old 10-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Abhishek Dixit

Default how to change DNS settings network manager over writes every thing

I am facing problem in using my internet so as per recommendations here
http://www.indiabroadband.net/broadband-how/29007-how-get-max-speed-connection.html
I have to change my DNS settings to
Open DNS
Preferred DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS Server: 208.67.220.220
or Google DNS
Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS Server: 8.8.4.4

here comes my problem,I went to wifi signal icon at top right hand
cornet adjacent to volume icon in tool bar upon clicking
edit connections-->wireless-->my connection
all the options with respect to settings were greyed out.So I could
not do it in GUI.
I decided to write the settings in /etc/resolv.con
but when I did /etc/init.d/network-manager restart
all the DNS settings were wiped out.

Given the situation what are my options?
--
Regards
Abhi

Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Colin Law

On 4 October 2011 14:26, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am facing problem in using my internet so as per recommendations here
> http://www.indiabroadband.net/broadband-how/29007-how-get-max-speed-connection.html
> I have to change my DNS settings to
> Open DNS
> Preferred DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
> Alternate DNS Server: 208.67.220.220
> or Google DNS
> Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
> Alternate DNS Server: 8.8.4.4
>
> here comes my problem,I went to wifi signal icon at top right hand
> cornet adjacent to volume icon in tool bar upon clicking
> edit connections-->wireless-->my connection
> all the options with respect to settings were greyed out.So I could
> not do it in GUI.

On that dialog did you try to set the Method select box to 'Manual' or
is this also greyed out? That is on IPV4 tab.

Colin