Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Alain Muls

Default Converting a friend to Ubuntu - needs iTunes

Hi All

A friend of mine has a Windows XP PC which takes ages to boot.
He is willing to try Linux (I want to install Ubuntu 11.10) but he has
one specific request.
He absolutely needs to be able to run iTunes (and it should not crash!).

What is the best option to do this? Using a virtual windows is not
what I want, since
that would mean I could just as easily install windows.

bye/Alain

Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 AM
"Chris"

There is Wine (good luck with that).
If he is tied to itunes, then stay with windows.

Yes, there are players that work like itunes but the whole protection of the songs makes it nearly impossible for a new Linux user to deal with hacks that might be out there.

If he is a purchaser of songs, and isn't tied to the player, there are alternatives.

For example, I buy my songs from Amazon (no DRM protection) and I use Amarok for the player.

Sent from my HTC.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Alan Pope

On 4 October 2011 08:13, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> He absolutely needs to be able to run iTunes (and it should not crash!).

For what reason? Has an iPhone/iPad and wants to sync/backup? Or tied
to a massive music library in iTunes?

> What is the best option to do this? Using a virtual windows is not
> what I want, since
> that would mean I could just as easily install windows.

That's pretty much the only option, and it's not that nice an
experience for the user.

Al.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Paul Sladen

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Alain Muls wrote:
> He absolutely needs to be able to run iTunes

If Apple iTunes is a hard requirement then Ubuntu is unlikely to be a
good choice, at this time. The core of this is, if somebody mandates
a manufacturer or product by name, then by definition only that
manufacturer can match.

For example, if a user:

1. orders a Ford Fiesta
2. gets delivered a Rolls-Royce

then the requirements have not, and cannot be met.

> What is the best option to do this?

If your friend has a real, but genericly-worded requirement such as
"must be able to sync MP3s with an iPod Touch" then Ubuntu would be
able to meet that requirement and do so with the included
out-of-the-box experience and functionality.

-Paul

Old 10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Tue, October 4, 2011 09:13, Alain Muls wrote:
> Hi All
>
> A friend of mine has a Windows XP PC which takes ages to boot.
> He is willing to try Linux (I want to install Ubuntu 11.10) but he has
> one specific request.
> He absolutely needs to be able to run iTunes (and it should not crash!).
>
> What is the best option to do this? Using a virtual windows is not
> what I want, since
> that would mean I could just as easily install windows.

A honest answer: he should get a Mac. Seriously. A Mac is not Windows, so
there *must* be something good in it. ;-) (sorry for the unprofessional
Windows bashing)

OSX is UNIX under the hood anyway, and a lot of Linux software is also
available for OSX. For most people the operating system doesn't matter (a
lot), all that matters are the applications.

Perhaps you could set up some kind of dual boot installation (I think it's
called Bootcamp on a Mac) and install Ubuntu on it too. I'm not familiar
with Macs so I don't know the details.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Mac, and if I had, I would wipe the hard disk
and install Ubuntu.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Alain Muls

Hi All

On 4 October 2011 14:00, <ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Alain Muls wrote:
> > He absolutely needs to be able to run iTunes
>
> If Apple iTunes is a hard requirement then Ubuntu is unlikely to be a
> good choice, at this time. *The core of this is, if somebody mandates
> a manufacturer or product by name, then by definition only that
> manufacturer can match.
>
> For example, if a user:
>
> *1. orders a Ford Fiesta
> *2. gets delivered a Rolls-Royce
>
> then the requirements have not, and cannot be met.
>
> > What is the best option to do this?
>
> If your friend has a real, but genericly-worded requirement such as
> "must be able to sync MP3s with an iPod Touch" then Ubuntu would be
> able to meet that requirement and do so with the included
> out-of-the-box experience and functionality.

He is an active buyer of songs using iTunes and syncs with iPhone.
bye/Alain

Old 10-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Liam Proven

On 4 October 2011 15:58, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> On 4 October 2011 14:00, <ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Alain Muls wrote:
>> > He absolutely needs to be able to run iTunes
>>
>> If Apple iTunes is a hard requirement then Ubuntu is unlikely to be a
>> good choice, at this time. *The core of this is, if somebody mandates
>> a manufacturer or product by name, then by definition only that
>> manufacturer can match.
>>
>> For example, if a user:
>>
>> *1. orders a Ford Fiesta
>> *2. gets delivered a Rolls-Royce
>>
>> then the requirements have not, and cannot be met.
>>
>> > What is the best option to do this?
>>
>> If your friend has a real, but genericly-worded requirement such as
>> "must be able to sync MP3s with an iPod Touch" then Ubuntu would be
>> able to meet that requirement and do so with the included
>> out-of-the-box experience and functionality.
>
> He is an active buyer of songs using iTunes and syncs with iPhone.
> bye/Alain

In that case, I would agree with Amedee. If he actively wishes to get
off Windows but is already "locked in" to one of Apple's platforms
like this, then there is an obvious answer and it is not Linux.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Hal Burgiss

He is an active buyer of songs using iTunes and syncs with iPhone.

bye/Alain

I am pretty sure Apple has said there are no plans for a Linux version, ever. I was able at one time to get a very old version of iTunes running under Wine, but it was limited and would not sync an iphone. In fact, it did not even recognize it. *That definitely requires Windows or a Mac. Apple does some things very well. If you like that kind of stuff, then you/he probably should just get a Mac.*

*--
Hal

Old 10-04-2011, 03:49 PM
"Clint Tinsley"

He is an active buyer of songs using iTunes and syncs with iPhone.

bye/Alain

*

*

I am pretty sure Apple has said there are no plans for a Linux version, ever. I was able at one time to get a very old version of iTunes running under Wine, but it was limited and would not sync an iphone. In fact, it did not even recognize it. *That definitely requires Windows or a Mac. Apple does some things very well. If you like that kind of stuff, then you/he probably should just get a Mac.

For the record, I have actually found Linux (10.04) with a copy WindowsXP running in a Virtual Box to be the absolute best solution for working with Apple's products old and new including the Shuttle, iPad touch, iPhone.* I run a number of tools in WindowsXP for coverting files to iPod/iTouch format plus a copy of iTunes running there natively as well. * On the Linux side, a number of Linux native applications are now compatible with iPod/iPhone interms of at least accessing managing the music files. Banshee is getting very high marks in this department. The cool thing about Linux, even over Windows, is that it recogizes all the Apple device storage formats, at least the ones I have worked with.

Clint *

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Pritam Baral

Just noticed that iOS 5 won't need iTunes for updates anymore.http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html#pcfree