Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM
AV3

Default Converting a friend to Ubuntu - needs iTunes

On Oct/4/2011 10:4155 AM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

On Tue, October 4, 2011 09:13, Alain Muls wrote:

Hi All

A friend of mine has a Windows XP PC which takes ages to boot.
He is willing to try Linux (I want to install Ubuntu 11.10) but he has
one specific request.
He absolutely needs to be able to run iTunes (and it should not crash!).

What is the best option to do this? Using a virtual windows is not
what I want, since
that would mean I could just as easily install windows.

A honest answer: he should get a Mac. Seriously. A Mac is not Windows, so
there *must* be something good in it. ;-) (sorry for the unprofessional
Windows bashing)

OSX is UNIX under the hood anyway, and a lot of Linux software is also
available for OSX. For most people the operating system doesn't matter (a
lot), all that matters are the applications.

Perhaps you could set up some kind of dual boot installation (I think it's
called Bootcamp on a Mac) and install Ubuntu on it too. I'm not familiar
with Macs so I don't know the details.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Mac, and if I had, I would wipe the hard disk
and install Ubuntu.

I have always dual-booted Ubuntu and MacOS X on Macs. You describe the
correct method. One can even triple boot Windows by way of Boot Camp,
which I have done but deactivated Windows because I am a Mac user who
gets tired of wasting time running anti-malware software.

Boot Camp is an application inside the Utility folder of the Application
folder on MacOS X. The OP might wipe the disk and install Ubuntu as you
fantasize, but that would not solve his problem of getting access to iTunes.

--
++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvimideQ@Wearthlink.net> ||

Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Tue, October 4, 2011 23:49, AV3 wrote:

> The OP might wipe the disk and install Ubuntu as you fantasize, but that
> would not solve his problem of getting access to iTunes.

I never wrote that the OP should do that.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:30 PM
AV3

The OP might wipe the disk and install Ubuntu as you fantasize, but that
would not solve his problem of getting access to iTunes.

I never wrote that the OP should do that.

As I intended to indicate, you added that fantasy to your help message.
It has been so long since I installed Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro that I
needed to check out the methods. Boot Camp works, but it works better
for installing Windows. The Ubuntu Community Documentation site
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community> has a large number of specific
installation instruction for various available flavors of Ubuntu and for
various Mac models.

--
++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++

Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Douglas Saylor

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:

> He is an active buyer of songs using iTunes and syncs with iPhone.
> bye

iOS5 (ithe iPhone operating system) which is coming out (I have beta
it's very cool) I believe Oct 14th will NO LONGER REQUIRE iTunes. You
can purchase "iTunes Match" $24.99 & it will scan your iPhone & any
songs Apple has & it will automatically them make available on iCloud
to steam to an iOS device you own or to download a copy at no
additional cost. Any songs not owned by Apple will be uploaded to your
iCloud account. You will be able to do over-the-air upgrades to
iPhone, back-ups will go to iCloud. You will never need to plug into a
PC ever again.

I just wiped Windows XP off my friends computer, put Ubuntu on his
netbook & put iOS5 (beta) on his iPhone 4 & he's all set. He LOVES
Ubuntu & he's FAR from a tech guy too.