-   -   Hardware Asset Information (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/583164-hardware-asset-information.html)

Kaushal Shriyan 10-03-2011 11:53 PM

Hardware Asset Information

Hi,

Is there a way to find total numbers of Hard disk attached or mounted
on remote servers totaling around 200 Servers running Ubuntu Linux
Server 10.04 and 8.04 and also the number of RAM Chips attached to the
system. Any utility or some gui tool from client desktop ?

Regards

Kaushal

Kaushal Shriyan 10-03-2011 11:54 PM

Hardware asset information

Hi,

Is there a way to find total numbers of Hard disk attached or mounted
on remote servers totaling around 200 Servers running debian Linux
Server and also the number of RAM Chips attached to the system. Any

Kaushal Shriyan 10-03-2011 11:55 PM

Hardware Asset information

Hi,

Is there a way to find total numbers of Hard disk attached or mounted
on remote servers totaling around 200 Servers running fedora Linux and

Kaushal Shriyan 10-03-2011 11:55 PM

Hardware Asset Information

Hi,

Is there a way to find total numbers of Hard disk attached or mounted
on remote servers totaling around 200 Servers running CentOS Server

Digimer 10-03-2011 11:59 PM

On 10/03/2011 07:55 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to find total numbers of Hard disk attached or mounted
> on remote servers totaling around 200 Servers running CentOS Server
> and also the number of RAM Chips attached to the system. Any utility
> or some gui tool from client desktop ?
>
> Regards
>
> Kaushal

Calling 'dmidecode', 'lspci', 'hdparm' and 'smartctl' should get you on
your way.

PS - Cross-posting is generally frowned upon as it splits up
conversations. If you question is specific to CentOS or Fedora, post to
that list only if you can.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Andrew Reid 10-04-2011 12:05 AM

Hardware asset information

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to find total numbers of Hard disk attached or mounted
> on remote servers totaling around 200 Servers running debian Linux
> Server and also the number of RAM Chips attached to the system. Any
> utility or some gui tool from client desktop ?

Hard drives are a bit tricky, because the system treats device-mapper
devices and physical devices similarly in many contexts. I'd suggest
scanning /proc/partitions for the devices that look like /dev/sd<x>
(with no numerical suffix) or /dev/hd<x>, where x is a letter.

For memory chips, you can do "dmidecode" and count up the
populated "type 17" entries, but beware, I believe it will
also report un-populated DIMM slots.

As for a desktop GUI tool, I have no idea. Probably there
is, but that's not really my world.

-- A.

--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Rick Stevens 10-04-2011 12:13 AM

On 10/03/2011 04:55 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to find total numbers of Hard disk attached or mounted
> on remote servers totaling around 200 Servers running fedora Linux and
> also the number of RAM Chips attached to the system. Any utility or
> some gui tool from client desktop ?

Some of it would be in a smolt report (try "smoltSendProfile -p" to
see what it spits out.

dmidecode will show you what's in the box (memory, cpu, etc.).

lspci can give you more details about the individual cards in the
slots.

lsusb will do the same for USB ports.

"cat /proc/scsi/scsi" can show you what drives are attached, but
remember that if you're using hardware RAID, it can't tell you how
many drives make up the RAID or what RAID level it is as the system
just sees the RAID, not its components. A lot of RAID cards do have a
way of querying them to get those details.

In other words, no, there's no simple way.

Paul Sladen 10-04-2011 12:26 AM

Hardware asset information

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

Unix philosphy is about breaking tasks down into small tasks:

> Is there a way to find total numbers of Hard disk attached

ls -d1 /sys/block/sd?/ | wc -l

> or mounted

grep -c /dev/sd /proc/mounts

ssh user@remote-server ...

> totaling around 200 Servers

for s in `cat servers.list` ; do ssh ... ; done

> running Ubuntu Linux Server 10.04 and 8.04

Indeed.

> and also the number of RAM

free -m
grep MemTotal /proc/meminfo

> Chips attached to the system.

sudo apt-get install i2c-tools
sudo modprobe eeprom
sudo decode-dimms

> Any utility or some gui tool from client desktop ?

Sounds like you want to be running Landscape:

http://www.canonical.com/enterprise-services/ubuntu-advantage/landscape

-Paul

John Hasler 10-04-2011 12:27 AM

Hardware asset information

apt-cache search inventory
--
John Hasler

suvayu ali 10-04-2011 12:34 AM

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 2:13 AM, Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:
> Some of it would be in a smolt report (try "smoltSendProfile -p" to
> see what it spits out.
>
> dmidecode will show you what's in the box (memory, cpu, etc.).
>
> lspci can give you more details about the individual cards in the
> slots.
>
> lsusb will do the same for USB ports.

How about lshw or lshw-gui if you need a gui?

--
Suvayu