Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Jason Arkell

Default Ubuntu 11.04: Huawei E173s-2

What about a manual install. Try choosing edit connection from the network icon and adding the connection manually under mobile.

Jason Arkell <jason.arkell@hotmail.com> wrote:

Use synaptic package manager to install usb-modeswitch. Should work after that. Left click the network icon and look for new mobile connection and left click on it. That will begin the setup process.

Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Ubuntu (but not Linux/UNIX) and trying to get the Huawei E173s-2 modem to work on Ubuntu 11.04. Is there an update or patch to get this modem to work on Ubuntu?

The modem Vendor and Product ID's are present in /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch

# Huawei E173s

ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1c0b", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"

I have to run usb_modeswitch on each plugin, but the modem will not work without

echo "12d1 1c05" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

I have gone through the list archives and did not find much, but a few hits come up on the Ubuntuforums. Any one know how I can get this to work like all other modems.

--

Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in*a million chances happen 99% of the time.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Mike Barnard

On 3 October 2011 16:39, Jason Arkell <jason.arkell@hotmail.com> wrote:

What about a manual install. Try choosing edit connection from the network icon and adding the connection manually under mobile.

I removed usb_modeswitch and installed it again and I still get the same result... I enabled logging in usb_modeswitch.conf and I see that the the device is detected and reported as switched, but its actually not happening.

<code>
USB_ModeSwitch log from Mon Oct 03 18:31:48 UTC 2011

raw args from udev: /1-1:1.0

Using global config file: /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
Bus ID for device not given by udev.
*Trying to determine it from kernel name (1-1:1.0) ...

USB dir exists: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1
Warning: USB attribute "serial" not found.
----------------
USB values from sysfs:
* manufacturer** *HUAWEI
* product** *HUAWEI Mobile
* serial** *
----------------

Found packed config collection /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/configPack.tar.gz
Searching overriding entries named: /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/12d1:1c0b*
SCSI attributes not needed, moving on
checking config: 12d1:1c0b

Extracting config 12d1:1c0b from collection /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/configPack.tar.gz
! matched, now switching
*(running command: /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -I -W -c /var/lib/usb_modeswitch/current_cfg)
</code>

The configuration file being run actually does switch the device when I manually run usb_modeswitch -c /var/lib/usb_modeswitch/current_cfg.

What I am looking for is a way to get this device to actually switch correctly, once the device is plugged in.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Ubuntu (but not Linux/UNIX) and trying to get the Huawei E173s-2
> modem to work on Ubuntu 11.04. Is there an update or patch to get this modem
> to work on Ubuntu?

I have this model and its working out of the box with 11.04. What I
had discovered is you have to plug in the device before the kernel
gets loaded up or else it would not work if you just plug it in during
a session. Hope this helps.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Mike Barnard

Removing usb_modeswitch and installing it again seems to have solved this for me. I do not need to constantly switch the device every time I plug it in.