-   -   Gnome3 on Natty (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/582957-gnome3-natty.html)

Avi Greenbury 10-03-2011 01:57 PM

Gnome3 on Natty

Amichai Rotman wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to revert to the full Unity Desktop, or even
> better - fix the Gnome 3 desktop?

This sounds like it's as Gnome3 is intended to be. To fix it you need
to install a few extensions, I found this covers almost everything I
think is broken-by-design in Gnome3:

http://piecesoflint.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/how-to-tweak-gnome-3-to-your-needs/

Which also does most of what you're after. Reverting to Unity on Natty
is non-trivial, since you've just replaced a lot of Gnome2 libraries
with their differently-behaving Gnome3 ones. Oneiric's Unity is
Gnome3-based so that *may* be a simpler way to get back to unity.

--
Avi

Amichai Rotman 10-03-2011 02:38 PM

Gnome3 on Natty

Hey Avi,
Thanks. I tried to follow, but I was missing git. I installed it, but when I tried to follow further, I got an error regarding configure is run without arguments, and then got an error the directory is read only and '/usr/bin/gnome-autogen.sh: 506: ./configure: not found'....

How do I revert to Unity?
Re-install Ubuntu natty from scratch? It isn't such a big deal because my /home is separate from the / partition...
I just want to run some kind of a post install script to install all the current sources and packages, except the Gnome 3...

Is there a tool for Linux similar to "Create System Restore Point" on Windows?

Thanks again,
Amichai*