Old 10-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Chris G

Default WiFi question - easiest way to connect non-WiFi hardware to WiFi?

While this is not a specifically Ubuntu/Linux question I suspect the
answers may be subtly different according to the OS one has on computers
in the same place.

I want to connect a device (a VOIP phone base station) to a WiFi
service. The WiFi isn't mine, it's a service provided for customers (of
which I am one) at a marina. I want to get my VOIP phone to talk to the
WiFi service.

I *think* a WiFi router/access point should be able to do this but it's
not really very clear in the Web set-up how this can/should be done. Can
anyone offer me some help please.

I have the following that I *could* use to connect to the WiFi:-

Speedtouch 716WL wireless router (quite old)
Tenda Wireless-N router model W311R+
Solwise 434T 3G router

Of these it feels as if the Tenda W311R+ is the most likely to be able
to be configured the way I want. What I want is to configure the router
to be a WiFi 'client' and provide access to the internet from its
ethernet LAN connections.

--
Chris Green

Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Nathan Bahn

[...]

Chris Green--

I lack the expertise required to provide the level of detail that you may require; hopefully someone else on this listserve will provide such detail.* I do not know how much you know about configuring routers; you will need from the marina's management the SSID of their WiFi router and its password.* For your sake, I hope that that port forwarding is not required (if it is, then buy some aspirin -- you will need it).

A word of caution:* It is my understanding -- and I freely admit that I could be wrong about this -- that WiFi is not an ideal medium for VOIP.* In addition to that (and depending upon the kind of service that the marina is receiving from its ISP), it may well be that that the inbound (to you) UDP frames will all come in (thus, allowing you to hear what is being spoken to you), while the outbound (from you) UDP frames will have a greater chance of being dropped by the marina's ISP modem -- with the result that that the person that you are speaking with will be unable to understand what you are saying.* For whatever it may be worth, I will also say that that in my experience that unthrottled peer-to-peer programs accessing the same ISP modem (even if configured as part of an ADSL service[1]) will render VOIP unusable -- although that may be an unwarranted concern in your circumstance.

Good luck.
[1]In particular, read the third paragraph here.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html & http://www.libreoffice.org/ (Nathan Bahn)

Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Chris G wrote:

[...]

I do believe what you want to create is a wrieless bridge.
(I don't completely trst Wikipedia, but this article seems to be right...:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_bridge

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy in the internet.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Jeffrey Gray

Well, I think that it was wireless bridge adapters that we used to
connect to the ethernet on xboxes to get them wireless but it's been
years. Could this easily be taken care of by getting a wifi sip based
phone and setting it up on the wireless?

-Jeff Gray

Old 10-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 12:56:06PM -0400, Nathan Bahn wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> While this is not a specifically Ubuntu/Linux question I suspect the
> answers may be subtly different according to the OS one has on computers
> in the same place.
>
> I want to connect a device (a VOIP phone base station) to a WiFi
> service. The WiFi isn't mine, it's a service provided for customers (of
> which I am one) at a marina. I want to get my VOIP phone to talk to the
> WiFi service.
>
> I *think* a WiFi router/access point should be able to do this but it's
> not really very clear in the Web set-up how this can/should be done. Can
> anyone offer me some help please.
>
> I have the following that I *could* use to connect to the WiFi:-
>
> Speedtouch 716WL wireless router (quite old)
> Tenda Wireless-N router model W311R+
> Solwise 434T 3G router
>
> Of these it feels as if the Tenda W311R+ is the most likely to be able
> to be configured the way I want. What I want is to configure the router
> to be a WiFi 'client' and provide access to the internet from its
> ethernet LAN connections.
>
> --
> Chris Green
>
> Chris Green--
>
> I lack the expertise required to provide the level of detail that you may
> require; hopefully someone else on this listserve will provide such
> detail. I do not know how much you know about configuring routers; you
> will need from the marina's management the SSID of their WiFi router and
> its password.

Well I know them of course or I wouldn't be able to use the WiFi in the
'normal' way of connecting my laptop to it.

> For your sake, I hope that that port forwarding is not
> required (if it is, then buy some aspirin -- you will need it).
>
> A word of caution: It is my understanding -- and I freely admit that I
> could be wrong about this -- that WiFi is not an ideal medium for VOIP.

You could well be right, however we did have it working via a much
flakier and slower 3G+ router which was actually only getting a 2G
connection. It dropped out a lot but on good days we got a usable
connection which, given the low cost, was well worth having.

> In addition to that (and depending upon the kind of service that the
> marina is receiving from its ISP), it may well be that that the inbound
> (to you) UDP frames will all come in (thus, allowing you to hear what is
> being spoken to you), while the outbound (from you) UDP frames will have a
> greater chance of being dropped by the marina's ISP modem -- with the
> result that that the person that you are speaking with will be unable to
> understand what you are saying. For whatever it may be worth, I will also
> say that that in my experience that unthrottled peer-to-peer programs
> accessing the same ISP modem (even if configured as part of an [2]ADSL
> service[1]) will render VOIP unusable -- although that may be an
> unwarranted concern in your circumstance.

Yes, all very true, I would guess there's not much traffic most of the
time at the marina though (only a dozen or so boats, most of which are a
hire company's fleet) so we may well be OK.

--
Chris Green