-   -   Kernel Panic -- Not Syncing (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/582525-kernel-panic-not-syncing.html)

Jatin Davey 10-02-2011 05:12 AM

Kernel Panic -- Not Syncing

Hi
When i start my ubuntu laptop i am getting the following message. Tried re-starting many times but still i just get this message:
cant open /root/dev/console: no such file
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init !Pid: 1, comm: init Tainted G * * *D * * *2.6.32-34-generic 077-Ubuntu
Please let me know how i can recover from this thing ang get back to normal working state. I have good amount of data in the hard disk so i badly need to get back it.

Appreciate your responses in this regard.
ThanksJatin

Boris Aelen 10-02-2011 08:22 AM

Kernel Panic -- Not Syncing

Hi Jatin,
I would suggest booting into an older kernel, if you still have one installed?
-- Boris*

"compdoc" 10-02-2011 02:02 PM

Kernel Panic -- Not Syncing

>When i start my ubuntu laptop i am getting the following message.
>Tried re-starting many times but still i just get this message:
>*
>cant open /root/dev/console: no such file
>kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init !
>Pid: 1, comm: init Tainted G * * *D * * *2.6.32-34-generic 077-Ubuntu
*
*
I service computers for a living, and I find a common problem with laptops is failing hard drives.
*
I would boot an Ubuntu Live CD, (11.04 if possible) and open the Gnome Disk Utility. Select your laptop's drive in the list on the left, and read the SMART status. You may have to expand the window to see it all.
*
If it says 'Disk is healthy', then go ahead and repair the your operating system. However, if it says it has a few bad sectors or has warnings about the health of the drive, it's time to recover what files you can and get a new drive.
*
*

Pritam Baral 10-04-2011 09:59 PM

Kernel Panic -- Not Syncing

Why does the kernal look for dev/ inside /root/ ? Aren't device files in /dev/ by default? Or maybe the kernel, or the initramfs is configured wrongly, to mistake /root/ for / . If you do can boot into an older kernel, try updating the initramfs, or better still reconfiguring the new kernel.

(If you have only one OS installed, you need to keep SHIFT pressed while the computer is booting up.)

Regards,
Chhatoi Pritam Baral

Colin Watson 10-05-2011 08:48 AM

Kernel Panic -- Not Syncing

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 03:29:30AM +0530, Pritam Baral wrote:
> Why does the kernal look for dev/ inside /root/ ?

/root here is not the /root you're thinking of. In the initramfs, /root
is where the real root filesystem (/) is mounted until such time as the
initramfs finishes its job and enters the real root.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Jatin 10-05-2011 02:07 PM

Kernel Panic -- Not Syncing

On Sunday 02 October 2011 07:32 PM, compdoc wrote:

>When
i start my ubuntu laptop i am getting the following message.

>Tried re-starting many times
but still i just get this message:

>*

>cant open /root/dev/console:
no such file

>kernel panic - not syncing:
Attempted to kill init !

>Pid: 1, comm: init Tainted G
* * *D * * *2.6.32-34-generic 077-Ubuntu

*

*

I service
computers for a living, and I find a common problem with
laptops is failing hard drives.

*

I would
boot an Ubuntu Live CD, (11.04 if possible) and open the
Gnome Disk Utility. Select your laptop's drive in the
list on the left, and read the SMART status. You may
have to expand the window to see it all.

*

If it says
'Disk is healthy', then go ahead and repair the your
operating system. However, if it says it has a few bad
sectors or has warnings about the health of the drive,
it's time to recover what files you can and get a new
drive.

*

*

Thanks everybody for the response.

I booted from the ubuntu live cd and used the fsck command to clean
up the disk and then rebooted the machine again and got it working
back to normal again.

Thanks

Jatin