-   -   Nice features (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/58245-nice-features.html)

Karl Larsen 02-18-2008 01:02 PM

Nice features

I have been using Linux for several years and am used to calling a
directory a directory, not a folder. But times change and let me tell
you what I discovered.

It started with the Desktop. Friends send me things like short
movies and pictures and when I want to save them the save fuction
defaulted to putting these things on the Desktop. This was nice because
it makes it easy to view at a later time. So it continued and the dektop
was filling up with "stuff".

It became hard to click on a movie or double click a picture. You
could not see what you were doing. Something had to be done. With a
terminal I made directories movie, pdf, pics, and pps. These showed up
on the Desktop as real Folders. Using the terminal I moved all the files
to the proper folders and the desktop is clean except for 4 Folders.

Well I am still getting the stuff and putting on the Desktop. When I
feel like it I put these in a folder with my mouse. I click on the movie
and slide it over the folder movie and un-click and it is in the folder.
This is real windows performance and I like it. I never thought this
kind of detail would ever make it to Linux. It is real nice.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User