Old 10-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Graham Watkins

Default Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list - clarifications

On 28 September 2011 14:20, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> If one really seriously thinks about this, what Alan stated, "At the last
> Community Council meeting (and on at least two occasions on the past 2
> years I've been on the Community Council) it's been suggested that
> this list should be shutdown for good..." is more than indicative of the
> attitude that Canonical's "Community Council" has towards its users.
I remain unconvinced that this is not about muzzling criticism of recent
developments in Ubuntu - particularly Unity.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:40 PM
"compdoc"

>'sudo-by-default' is *not* a new development; yet, it still received a
>variety of finger fast replies.

If I remember correctly, they also got the correct advise. Occasionally, there
are people who ask questions that are looking for a specific answer for
reasons of their own.

The list gives many answers: some correct by your standards and some with an
alternative solutions. I see no reason to shut down the list for that.

I'm sure people looking for answers appreciate any free help they can get.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:00 PM
"compdoc"

>Yes. But 'help' is at least as operative a word as 'free'. Free but
>useless is still useless.

Whether it's this list or the IRC channel, people get all kinds of help.
Some is good, some is bad. No reason to shut it down.

As for 'useless' - that's a judgment call on your part.

If Unity sucks, people should be able to say so. How else is Canonical going
to know?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:46 AM
"compdoc"

>I thought we were talking about moderation rather than closure? Perhaps
>moderation as an alternative to closure, but that's still besides the
>point.

I see it as this list being no different than other mailing lists. None is
perfect. And all are useful.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Patton Echols

On 09/28/2011 09:29 AM, Alan Pope wrote:

On 28 September 2011 17:20, Cybe R. Wizard<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

The implied intent was pretty clear, Alan. Sam was asking if the
change of meeting time changed the date of meeting. You replied, "Yes."
At the time I, Sam and likely many more took your, "yes," to mean that
the meeting /had/ already been bumped to the later date.

Lack of clarity on both sides then. I'm not taking responsibility for
absolutely nobody looking at a wiki page and absolutely nobody turning
up to the meeting. The members of sounder didn't bother so more fool
them for the list being shut down.

As I attempt to catch up on this thread, it seems clear that those of us
who appreciate this list need to attend CC meetings, right? Now,
meetings happen on IRC? Is that right? I wonder how many of the users
of this list know how to use IRC.

I've tried a few times and frankly IRC baffles me. I find it very
hard to follow along and I don't see how it can be used for in depth
meetings or support. But I guess I can try and learn.

--PE