-   -   Virtual box latest version? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/582225-virtual-box-latest-version.html)

Jim Byrnes 10-01-2011 01:54 AM

Virtual box latest version?

I am running Virtual box (PUEL) vers 4.0.12_72916 on 10.04. If I click
on updates in Virtual Box it tells me that I am running the latest
version. But on https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads it says the
latest Linux version is 4.1.2.

Looking in Synaptic /contrib (download.virtualbox.org) it shows I have
version 4.0.12-72916 installed but also shows version 4.1.2-73507 and
says it is the latest version.

I'm having some problems with a couple of my VM's and want to try the
latest VB and guest additions. Will I need to install from Synaptic or
will I eventually be offered a chance to upgrade through VB?

Regards, Jim

Lucio M Nicolosi 10-01-2011 02:32 AM

Virtual box latest version?

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am running Virtual box (PUEL) vers 4.0.12_72916 on 10.04. If I click on
> updates in Virtual Box it tells me that I am running the latest version. But
> on https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads it says the latest Linux
> version is 4.1.2.
>
> Looking in Synaptic /contrib (download.virtualbox.org) it shows I have
> version 4.0.12-72916 installed but also shows version 4.1.2-73507 and says
> it is the latest version.
>
> I'm having some problems with a couple of my VM's and want to try the latest
> VB and guest additions. Will I need to install from Synaptic or will I
> eventually be offered a chance to upgrade through VB?

You should first remove v. 4.0.1 and then install v.4.1.2.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation

"compdoc" 10-01-2011 12:25 PM

Virtual box latest version?

>I am running Virtual box (PUEL) vers 4.0.12_72916 on 10.04. If I click
>on updates in Virtual Box it tells me that I am running the latest
>version. But on https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads it says the
>latest Linux version is 4.1.2.

A few sites explain how its done:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/virtualbox-4-1-2-released-and-ubuntu-11-0410-10-in
stallation-instructions-included.html

Jim Byrnes 10-01-2011 01:47 PM

Virtual box latest version?

I am running Virtual box (PUEL) vers 4.0.12_72916 on 10.04. If I click on
updates in Virtual Box it tells me that I am running the latest version. But
on https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads it says the latest Linux
version is 4.1.2.

Looking in Synaptic /contrib (download.virtualbox.org) it shows I have
version 4.0.12-72916 installed but also shows version 4.1.2-73507 and says
it is the latest version.

I'm having some problems with a couple of my VM's and want to try the latest
VB and guest additions. Will I need to install from Synaptic or will I
eventually be offered a chance to upgrade through VB?

You should first remove v. 4.0.1 and then install v.4.1.2.

L.

A while ago I switched from the OSE to the PUEL version and added the
download.virtualbox line for lucid to my sources.list. Since then I
have been offered updates to VB. Does the version jump from 4.0 to 4.1
mean I have to manually install 4.1 to get the update process working again?

Regards, Jim

Jim Byrnes 10-01-2011 01:53 PM

Virtual box latest version?