-   -   Kubuntu 11.10 beta2 : first impression(s) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/582175-kubuntu-11-10-beta2-first-impression-s.html)

Nicolas Kovacs 09-30-2011 09:44 PM

Kubuntu 11.10 beta2 : first impression(s)

Hi,

I just tested Kubuntu 11.10 beta2. Downloaded the Alternate CD and
inserted it in one of my sandbox machines, a no-name PIV 2.4 GHz PC with
512 MB RAM that must have run at least two dozen different Linux
distros, various versions of Slackware and FreeBSD, Gentoo, Arch,
openSUSE, CentOS, Fedora, Pardus and others.

Inserted the install CD, selected the language (F2) and the keyboard
layout (F3), chose to "Install" and... nothing. Screen went instantly
black, no boot message, and the PC froze.

Quality control anyone?

Niki Kovacs
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : info@microlinux.fr
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32

Alan Pope 10-01-2011 07:43 AM

On 30 September 2011 22:44, Nicolas Kovacs <info@microlinux.fr> wrote:
> Inserted the install CD, selected the language (F2) and the keyboard layout
> (F3), chose to "Install" and... nothing. Screen went instantly black, no
> boot message, and the PC froze.
>
> Quality control anyone?

Bug report anyone? :)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/BlankScreen

I've had some success with removing all USB devices (except the
keyboard) when booting.

Al.

Kaj Haulrich 10-01-2011 08:39 AM

Kubuntu 11.10 beta2 : first impression(s)

Inserted the install CD, selected the language (F2) and the keyboard layout
(F3), chose to "Install" and... nothing. Screen went instantly black, no
boot message, and the PC froze.

Quality control anyone?

Bug report anyone? :)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/BlankScreen

I've had some success with removing all USB devices (except the
keyboard) when booting.

Have you tried to boot with the 'nomodeset' option:
At the boot prompt press F6 and select 'nomodeset'.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 11.10 ---------