Old 09-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Xfce on 11.04

Hey Ric,

I remember reading about you putting Xfce on 11.04. How did you do it?
I goggled it and from memory the instructions were to apt-get install
xfce-desktop. I did this and when I rebooted not only was there no xfce
choice I couldn't log in at all. Maybe the result of trying an early
version of gnome 3.0. As this was a VBox install no big deal so I am
reinstalling 11.04 now.

Any guidance on how to install it appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Jayson Rowe

I remember reading about you putting Xfce on 11.04. How did you do it? I
goggled it and from memory the instructions were to apt-get install
xfce-desktop. I did this and when I rebooted not only was there no xfce
choice I couldn't log in at all. Maybe the result of trying an early
version of gnome 3.0. As this was a VBox install no big deal so I am
reinstalling 11.04 now.

Any guidance on how to install it appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,
Try apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Jayson

Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Jim Byrnes

I remember reading about you putting Xfce on 11.04. How did you do it? I
goggled it and from memory the instructions were to apt-get install
xfce-desktop. I did this and when I rebooted not only was there no xfce
choice I couldn't log in at all. Maybe the result of trying an early
version of gnome 3.0. As this was a VBox install no big deal so I am
reinstalling 11.04 now.

Any guidance on how to install it appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,
Try apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Jayson

I should know better than to post from memory. Now that I see what you
wrote I realize that was what I used.

Thanks, Jim

Old 09-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Kenny V

xfce4apt-cache search xcfe4See what you get. *I'm running 11.10 and it xfce runs VERY well.Peace,V

Old 09-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Jim Byrnes

See what you get. I'm running 11.10 and it xfce runs VERY well.
Peace,

Once I reinstalled 11.04 and ran apt-get install xubuntu-desktop I now
have a running xfce desktop.

Thanks, Jim