-   -   FTP Woes (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/581928-ftp-woes.html)

Oliver Marshall 09-30-2011 07:28 AM

FTP Woes

I love Ubuntu. We use it on a lot of our servers and, while I’m not Linux ninja, I do know enough to be able to do the day to day tasks.
*
However, I can’t imagine that setting up an FTP server could be any more chuffing difficult if you tried. Why oh Why oh Why* is it so hard? I want to give one person write access to the /var/www folder of a server instead of (or as well as, I don’t care) their own home folder.
*
It would be easier to slice the wings off the penguin and ask him to fly home (don’t try that at home).
*
Bah!
*
</rant>
*
Olly

Avi Greenbury 09-30-2011 08:14 AM

FTP Woes

Oliver Marshall wrote:

> I love Ubuntu. We use it on a lot of our servers and, while I'm not
> Linux ninja, I do know enough to be able to do the day to day tasks.
>
> However, I can't imagine that setting up an FTP server could be any
> more chuffing difficult if you tried. Why oh Why oh Why is it so
> hard? I want to give one person write access to the /var/www folder
> of a server instead of (or as well as, I don't care) their own home
> folder.
>
> It would be easier to slice the wings off the penguin and ask him to
> fly home (don't try that at home).
>
> Bah!
>
> </rant>
>
> Olly

Do you want some help with this, or just a rant?

Generally, ftp daemons chroot users to their homedir by default, which
precludes cding to /var/www. You'd need to either disable this chroot
generally, or for that specific user - how to do this (and which is
possible) depends on which FTP server you're using.

Or, you could symlink /var/www to some place in their homedir if nobody
else needs access to it.

--
Avi

Hal Burgiss 09-30-2011 10:12 AM

FTP Woes

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:14 AM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:

Oliver Marshall wrote:

> I love Ubuntu. We use it on a lot of our servers and, while I'm not

> Linux ninja, I do know enough to be able to do the day to day tasks.

> However, I can't imagine that setting up an FTP server could be any

> more chuffing difficult if you tried. Why oh Why oh Why *is it so

> hard? I want to give one person write access to the /var/www folder

> of a server instead of (or as well as, I don't care) their own home

> folder.

> It would be easier to slice the wings off the penguin and ask him to

> fly home (don't try that at home).

Other options ... make /var/www the user's home dir (vi /etc/passwd). Or use not such a brain dead protocol like sftp/ssh and set user:group permissions accordingly. *
--
Hal