Old 09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Wes James

Default what is the correct way to restart network on the command line

I've tried:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

but get a deprecation error

I googled this and it seems to have changed to:

sudo ifdown eth0
sudo ifup eth0

but when I do that I get "interface eth0 not configured"

I look in:

/etc/network/interfaces

and all it has is:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

no eth0?

where can I study up on networking on 11.04?

The indicator in the Gnome menu bar can disconnect/reconnect
connections or turn networking off or on - is it using scripts to do
this work?

Thanks,

-wes

Old 09-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Verde Denim

I googled this and it seems to have changed to:

sudo ifdown eth0

sudo ifup eth0

but when I do that I get "interface eth0 not configured"

I look in:

/etc/network/interfaces

and all it has is:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

no eth0?

where can I study up on networking on 11.04?

The indicator in the Gnome menu bar can disconnect/reconnect

connections or turn networking off or on - is it using scripts to do

this work?

Thanks,

-wes

Wes
There seems to be some discrepancy in the way this has been automated in various releases. network-manager is supposed to work, but doesn't always. It sounds from the description of your interfaces file that network-manager is what you have been using. If you drop into a terminal and run (as sudo):

killall nm-applet and then nm-applet --sm-disable
what is the result?

If your default device is indeed eth0 (and not something else), you should see it - unless the nm-appliet has gone awry again (as it has on my systems numerous times).

If you're using ip addressing, you can always add the appropriate info to the /etc/networking/interfaces file yourself.

If you're acquiring the address dynamically (a la dhcp), there is a client that you can run - dhcp3 iirc, that should lease an address for you.

Other more knowledgeable than I will likely have more specific advise, but this should get you a starting point.

Regards

Jack