Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Rashkae

Default Was: Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list

On 09/30/2011 11:28 AM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

On Thu, September 29, 2011 17:23, Rashkae wrote:

My idea is simply that mailman requires a function to 'lock a thread'.
When invoked by a moderator, any reply to any message in that discussion
thread gets rejected. I see no reason why this would not be relatively
trivial to implement. Sure, it would be easy for people to work around,
but only a few would, and those can be dealt with directly as
misbehaving agents. I think that effectively disabling people's 'reply'
button to an unwanted discussion thread would solve 90% of the problems
with a list like this.

Due to the nature of SMTP (SIMPLE mail transfer protocol), this would be
(almost) impossible to implement.

Nonsense. SMTP has nothing to do with in. Mailman already has to scan
and modify the headers of every message before re-submitting the message
the mail server for distribution to the subcriber list. Mailman also
aready has the logic to organize mail messages into threads. (which it
uses for the web based archives.)

The problem here, though, I admit, is that the threading is probably
done after the message has been processed and "sent to the list"..
whereas to implement my idea, that information would have to be figured
out (via Subject header and or In-Reply-To: header, or whatever else
is used to properly thread the messages) and compared to a blacklist of
threads before being forwarded to the list proper.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On 30/09/2011 23:28, Rashkae wrote: Nonsense.
SMTP has nothing to do with in. Mailman already has
to scan and modify the headers of every message
before re-submitting the message the mail server
for distribution to the subcriber list. Mailman
also aready has the logic to organize mail messages
into threads. (which it uses for the web based
archives.)
The problem here, though, I admit, is that the threading is
probably done after the message has been processed and "sent to
the list".. whereas to implement my idea, that information would
have to be figured out (via Subject header and or
thread the messages) and compared to a blacklist of threads
before being forwarded to the list proper.
Again, due to the simplicity of SIMPLE Mail Transfer Protocol,
this is futile. Mail clients can drop the In-Reply-To:
header (intentionally or not), Subject headers can be
changed, if it's a common subject then you risk blocking too
much,...
It also sounds like too much overhead for a mailing list software
that only has to accept mails and forward them to list members. It
sounds more like a job for spam software. You could install that in
your mail client.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Rashkae