Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
rikona

Default get rid of OT

Another approach might be more fruitful. It is evident that there are
a number of people who really like to post OT stuff. Trying to silence
these people by moderation is, as we can already see, fraught with
problems. Giving them a good place to post OT material might solve a
lot of the problem.

What they need is an easy-as-possible alternative mailing list. The
bikeshed forum alternative is NOT good - javascript, ads, and way too
much other googleness. I am amazed that, with all the tech folks here,
SOMEONE could not start a 'real' mailing list something like UB-OT, or
if it needs more obfuscation, UBOT.

When that is set up and running, each email in need of moderation
would give the suggestion to move it to the OT **mailing** list [not
forum], and include the subscribe info. At that point, any
continuation could be moderated, since there is a *good* alternative.

Is there NOBODY here willing to set up such a 'real' mailing list? I
would think that with all the technical capabilities here, we would
already have such a MAILING LIST.

This was done for Mandrake and worked very well. Why not here? This
issue keeps coming up over, and over, and over...

--
Best regards,
rikona

Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Steve Flynn

Is there NOBODY here willing to set up such a 'real' mailing list? I

would think that with all the technical capabilities here, we would

already have such a MAILING LIST.

This was done for Mandrake and worked very well. Why not here? This

issue keeps coming up over, and over, and over...

Feel free to begin at any time. Give us a shout when you're ready...
On a less flippant note, people always post Off topic stuff - it's happened since I started using mailing lists back in 91 or so and it will continue to do so in future.

Just killfile anything with OT in the subject line. The number of false positives are low enough for most people to not care.
--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Rashkae