-   -   how to boot/run in text console only (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/581576-how-boot-run-text-console-only.html)

Harry Putnam 09-29-2011 12:03 PM

how to boot/run in text console only

I've attempted to make an ubuntu install an all text console machine
by removing as much of xorg as seemed to need it.

Also wondering if anyone knows, if in the circumstance of X-less
machine it would be safe to remove all pkgs with x11 in there name.

(I've inlined a list of those remaining pkgs at the end)

I may do some developement but not for X related software. I just
want to make sure that if I remove all those x11 named pkgs, I won't
suddenly be missing important tools and libraries I might need even in
X-less machine environment.

aptitude search x11 |grep ^i

i brltty-x11 - Access software for a blind person using a
i dbus-x11 - simple interprocess messaging system (X11
i libx11-6 - X11 client-side library
i libx11-data - X11 client-side library
i libx11-dev - X11 client-side library (development heade
i libx11-xcb1 - Xlib/XCB interface library
i pulseaudio-module-x11 - X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
i x11-apps - X applications
i x11-common - X Window System (X.Org) infrastructure
i x11-session-utils - X session utilities
i x11-utils - X11 utilities
i x11-xfs-utils - X font server utilities
i x11-xkb-utils - X11 XKB utilities
i x11-xserver-utils - X server utilities
i A x11proto-core-dev - X11 core wire protocol and auxiliary heade
i A x11proto-input-dev - X11 Input extension wire protocol
i A x11proto-kb-dev - X11 XKB extension wire protocol
i A x11proto-xext-dev - X11 various extension wire protocol

"compdoc" 09-29-2011 01:40 PM

how to boot/run in text console only

>I've attempted to make an ubuntu install an all text console machine
>by removing as much of xorg as seemed to need it.

Seems a lot of work. Is there some reason you don't just use the server
version of Ubuntu? No desktop is installed, I believe.

Alan Pope 09-29-2011 01:53 PM

On 29 September 2011 14:40, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>I've attempted to make an ubuntu install an all text console machine
>>by removing as much of xorg as seemed to need it.
>
> Seems a lot of work. Is there some reason you don't just use the server
> version of Ubuntu? No desktop is installed, I believe.

The alternate and server CDs have an option to do a minimal install. I
think you can choose it from the boot screen after the "Person equals
keyboard" thing appears.

Al.

Spam Forwarding 09-29-2011 02:16 PM

how to boot/run in text console only

Simply choose it from the boot screen...

Avi Greenbury 09-29-2011 10:09 PM

Harry Putnam wrote:

> Also wondering if anyone knows, if in the circumstance of X-less
> machine it would be safe to remove all pkgs with x11 in there name.
>
> (I've inlined a list of those remaining pkgs at the end)

Well, it depends what else is running. It might be worth trying the
uninstall and then reading through the list of packages to be
uninstalled because they depend upon those you are trying to remove.
But that will be a _long_ list.

It's quite possible you've some packages with 'x11' in the name if
you're doing stuff with documents where you may need to play with
fonts. I'm sure there's other situations, too, but the only way to be
sure is to check that you don't want to keep anything it's trying to
remove, and that you're not relying on any optional extra functionality
provided by those packages.

It's probably easiest to start from an x-less server instead, just
do a minimal (or server) install.

--
Avi

Earthson 09-30-2011 12:53 AM

how to boot/run in text console only

You may install Ubuntu Server version. It's text mode default(with no X server installed). and if you have installed other version of Ubuntu and do not want to reinstall, just keep it, you do not have to remove the X-server and something others.

you can start into text mode by change the grub file.

vim /etc/default/grub #you can use some others instead of vim

look at this line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

and replace "splash" with text
if you really want to remove ubuntu-desktop. It may not have a good way for purge remove.

apt-get purge *xorg**
I've tried this command(similar) before, but I don't think it is a purge remove.

programs in X mode will not be removed, but they could not start anymore.
[...]

** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *这个世界不会*为没有*而失去什么

但是,却有可能*为*的*在而发生 些改变。。

Koh Choon Lin 09-30-2011 05:14 AM

how to boot/run in text console only

Hi

> I've attempted to make an ubuntu install an all text console machine
> by removing as much of xorg as seemed to need it.
>
> Also wondering if anyone knows, if in the circumstance of X-less
> machine it would be safe to remove all pkgs with x11 in there name.
>
> (I've inlined a list of those remaining pkgs at the end)
>
> I may do some developement but not for X related software. *I just
> want to make sure that if I remove all those x11 named pkgs, I won't
> suddenly be missing important tools and libraries I might need even in
> X-less machine environment.

Old versions of Ubuntu can be booted into CLI by configuring the
runlevel but new versions of Ubuntu uses upstart.

To disable the GUI of new versions, this should do the trick:

sudo mv /etc/init/gdm.conf ~/gdm.conf

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin