-   -   Ubuntu Server 10.04: enable/disable services on startup (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/581452-ubuntu-server-10-04-enable-disable-services-startup.html)

Nicolas Kovacs 09-29-2011 05:27 AM

Ubuntu Server 10.04: enable/disable services on startup

Hi,

Short question: what's the "Ubuntu way" of enabling/disabling services
on startup? Speaking of this, what are the different runlevels
corresponding to? So far, I'm accustomed to working regularly on RHEL
and Slackware.

RHEL: runlevel 3 (commandline/multiuser) vs. 5 (graphical/multiuser)

# chkconfig --level 345 <service> on|off

Slackware: runlevel 3 (commandline/multiuser) vs. 4 (graphical/multiuser)

# chmod 0755 /etc/rc.d/rc.<service> --> activate
# chmod 0644 /etc/rc.d/rc.<service> --> deactivate

How are things supposed to work in Ubuntu?

cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : info@microlinux.fr
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32

Nicolas Kovacs 09-29-2011 06:28 AM

Ubuntu Server 10.04: enable/disable services on startup