-   -   Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/581421-shuttleworth-sabdfl-wants-shutdown-ubuntu-user-list.html)

"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin" 09-29-2011 03:13 AM

Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list

在 2011-09-28三的 17:48 -0700,NoOp写道:

that's bad.

--
Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.

chris 09-29-2011 03:20 AM

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 21:19 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 08:48 PM, NoOp wrote:
> > Culled from the recent threads via Alan Pope regarding '[Admin]
> > Additional moderator':
> >
> > http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:00
> > Shuttleworth states that they should just shut the Ubuntu users list
> > down (Mark Shuttleworth is 'sabdfl'[1]:
> > :
> > http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:10
> > [aiee, we should just shut that baby down]
> > http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:44
> > [i'm happy to take the shutdown bullets on -users]
> > http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:45
> > [even if it's of the 'last chance, fred's agreed to moderate, if (s)he
> > gives up, we shut down the list']
> >
> > Given the past results from the Sounder list I reckon that this list is
> > probably on it's last legs (IMO). And before anyone here ask: no I don't
> > plan to volunteer to be a moderator... I get enough flack already for
> > being a quasi-listmom on occasion.
> It's just as well the last person I helped took the time to send a thank
> you. I'd be starting to feel a little butthurt at the 'love' and
> appreciation I've been getting from canonical lately.

Fortunately we have the bikshed at google groups
I suspect that there is a lot of politics involved in Ubuntu these days,
particularly as the unity desktop is such a pita.
farewell
da kiwi

Ric Moore 09-29-2011 06:23 AM

[...]

That just means that in the end, it's his toys and he can go home with
'em. I can buy that. I personally think he's making a very bad BUSINESS
decision though. ALL of his users can't be gearheads. If I had my way
about it, he'd have over 3 million inmates as new users... try telling
them they're not valued. <chuckles> I can see it now... oh hell.

Maybe we should just fork and call it "Crowbar Linux".

"Hack our site, we won't snitch.
We'll find you and we'll break your knees with a crowbar."

Heh! That has a certain éclat.

My point is that if Ubuntu doesn't attract "others" then we're not in
the thick of the Bazaar. Instead, we're in the Cathedral. If that is
where Mark wants to be, then I have nothing but pity for him, as he will
at some point realize that a terrible mistake in judgment has overtaken
him. It happens to the best of us, but getting back towards redemption
from our mistakes is such a bitch, best to be avoided in the first place
...if we're not to hardheaded to listen to others. It's a tricky world
out there. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin" 09-29-2011 06:53 AM

Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list

在 2011-09-29四的 02:23 -0400,Ric Moore写道:

"Crowbar Linux" may be a great idea. :)

Nicolas Kovacs 09-29-2011 07:04 AM

Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list

Le 29/09/2011 02:48, NoOp a crit :

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:00
Shuttleworth states that they should just shut the Ubuntu users list
down

I'm an Austrian IT professional living and working in South France. My
company provides 100% GNU/Linux and FOSS solutions for clients like
small town halls and public libraries, schools and the likes. I'm mainly
working with CentOS and Slackware, but recently I've thought of giving
Ubuntu a go, more exactly 10.04 LTS on servers and Kubuntu 11.04 on
desktops.

Communication is vital for me. The docs are quite good (online server
guide), but a place where I can meet fellow professionals is a vital
source of information. This mailing list is such a place. So if I
understand correctly, this means of communication is soon coming to an
end. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki Kovacs
7, place de l'glise - 30730 Montpezat
Web : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : info@microlinux.fr
Tl. : 04 66 63 10 32

Ric Moore 09-29-2011 07:12 AM

Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list

The desktop themes could be just endlessly full of potential... but they
would have to get past muster with the Warden's.

<grins hugely> Ric

-
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Basil Chupin 09-29-2011 07:26 AM

[...]

OK, one final post in contradiction to what I wrote in another thread a
few minutes ago.

*WHAT* exactly is so damn special about ubuntu that so much attention is
being given it, and someone like yourself (and not meaning for you take
offence at what I say) have to write the above?

ubuntu is nothing more than another Linux distro and which is now in the
process of going belly-up.

There is NOTHING special about it.

Whatever "specialty" characteristics it may have or may have had are
only those in the minds of those who use it and who keep pushing it akin
to the religious zealots who push their religious beliefs.

Please point to me which other Linux distro cannot provide the ease of
use and features which ubuntu now provides?

"Ah", you now say. "but it has Unity and it has [a castrated version of]
gnome!".

That's it?!

The Linux distros are an incestuous family. As it now happens, ubuntu is
now producing a very deformed offspring.

BC

--
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
Sir Winston Churchill

Ric Moore 09-29-2011 07:39 AM

Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list

Shuttleworth states that they should just shut the Ubuntu users list
down

I'm an Austrian IT professional living and working in South France. My
company provides 100% GNU/Linux and FOSS solutions for clients like
small town halls and public libraries, schools and the likes. I'm mainly
working with CentOS and Slackware, but recently I've thought of giving
Ubuntu a go, more exactly 10.04 LTS on servers and Kubuntu 11.04 on
desktops.

I whacked KDE off of my machine as it ate too many resources running
daemons I couldn't turn off. XFCE has been light weight, and really
makes hardware run for you. I highly suggest you look into it. Best move
I ever made, and I've used KDE for years.

Communication is vital for me. The docs are quite good (online server
guide), but a place where I can meet fellow professionals is a vital
source of information. This mailing list is such a place. So if I
understand correctly, this means of communication is soon coming to an
end. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The word "communication" has been at the heart of it.
Ask a question.
Get an answer.
Ask a question.
Get an answer.

That is allowed. But, anything past that seems to rile a few people's
sensibilities. Telling us who you are, what you do, your experiences,
hopes and dreams is <OT> Off-topic. Verboten. So, people are leaving
before the list gets shut down on them or they get kicked off. Damn
shame too.

Only those who have objectified themselves as answering machines will be
left. And, that will make some people very happy that others are willing
to be objectified. That's sad in my book. So, maybe just set up your own
mail list among your clients, where they can gather in one place and
form what you perceive to be a community. Make it a warm fuzzy, not a
cold prickly.

I wish everyone well. Have good lives. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

chris 09-29-2011 07:39 AM

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 03:12 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 09/29/2011 02:53 AM, Sharl.Jimh.Tsin wrote:
>

> > "Crowbar Linux" may be a great idea. :)
> The desktop themes could be just endlessly full of potential... but they
> would have to get past muster with the Warden's.
> <grins hugely> Ric

Hey I want in on this. Somebody has to see the heads are straight and
the crowbars hitting the right people. ;-)

da Kiwi

chris 09-29-2011 07:41 AM

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 17:26 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 29/09/11 16:23, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On 09/28/2011 11:13 PM, Sharl.Jimh.Tsin wrote:
<snip>
> Please point to me which other Linux distro cannot provide the ease of
> use and features which ubuntu now provides?
>
> "Ah", you now say. "but it has Unity and it has [a castrated version of]
> gnome!".
>
> That's it?!
>
> The Linux distros are an incestuous family. As it now happens, ubuntu is
> now producing a very deformed offspring.
>
> BC

Well put Basil