Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM
rikona

Default Shuttleworth (SABDFL) wants to shutdown this ubuntu.user list

Hello Mihamina,

Thursday, September 29, 2011, 1:44:14 AM, Mihamina wrote:

> On 09/29/2011 03:48 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:00
>> Shuttleworth states that they should just shut the Ubuntu users list
>> down (Mark Shuttleworth is 'sabdfl'[1]:

> We can be faster than one man.
> Let's subscribe and use Group
> http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntu-list

> Current email address:
> ubuntu-list@googlegroups.com

> Dare?

I dare you to start a real OT ***MAILING LIST***. THAT has a chance of
being successful. Make sure it is defined as strictly OT.

--

rikona

Old 09-29-2011, 03:35 PM
rikona

Hello Verde,

Thursday, September 29, 2011, 6:01:28 AM, Verde wrote:

>> why don't we (the community of users who really _use_ this list for
>> its intended purpose) simply take it somewhere else?

Yes - good idea.

>> Is Google groups a viable option?

NO, no NO!!!

>> What about a hosted forum

No forum, of any kind. Start a mailing list, like this one.

>> I'm ok with the list just relocating off Canonical's universe to
>> another location, but it would be sad to see it happen.

Agreed. But if the OT discussions had a GOOD ALTERNATIVE place to
happen, it would relieve much of the problem.

>> If the support for the distro falls apart, I suspect that it won't
>> be long before I and (I would guess) many others would be looking
>> into an alternate distribution of Linux to run their systems from.
>> I've enjoyed running Ubuntu since version 4, but without support
>> for any product, current users (not experts mind you) will migrate
>> elsewhere, and new users will simply stop coming, relegating Ubuntu
>> to the equivalent of the elephant graveyard.

Totally agree. A good support MAILING LIST is essential - a forum is
MUCH less useful.

--

rikona

Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM
rikona

Hello J,

Thursday, September 29, 2011, 6:48:33 AM, J wrote:

> Personally, I'd prefer to see this list remain.

Yes, yes, yes.

> I don't use forums or "pull" media if I can help it. If I had to use
> a forum for every interest or avenue of communication that I needed
> or wanted, I'd have a bookmark list of literally hundreds of forums
> that I'd have to visit individually to get the information I want.
> Mailing lists are more of a "pull" in that the data comes to me,
> aggregated by my mail clients (either Thunderbird or GMail). So I
> have only one place I need to post a message, one place to view
> replies.

Well said - totally agree - no forum.

> So I'm a huge fan of mailing lists, and I've been on them for years
> helping people solve their Linux issues when I can, getting help for
> my own questions when I need to. I do NOT use forums for anything
> beyond occasional hobby related interests because I simply don't
> have enough time to keep up with forums.

Like wise - again well said.

Let's get an OT mailing list.

--

rikona

Old 09-29-2011, 03:39 PM
rikona

Hello Nicolas,

Thursday, September 29, 2011, 7:18:37 AM, Nicolas wrote:

> I know there are other channels of communication, but like you, I
> favor mailing lists for efficient troubleshooting.

Agree. Lists are MUCH better.

--

rikona

Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Ernest Doub

Thursday, September 29, 2011, 7:18:37 AM, Nicolas wrote:

> I know there are other channels of communication, but like you, I

> favor mailing lists for efficient troubleshooting.

Agree. Lists are MUCH better.

--

*rikona

IMHO what is needed is a parallel list for the OT/Social postings that is closely linked with the technical list.
That way when a thread starts to wander people can be politely invited to move it to the parallel list and nobody needs to have a blood pressure spike.

It also gives an outlet for the more socially inclined to meet around a common interest - promoting the fraternity of Linux users [all flavors].
I've seen what is going on here happen numerous times over the years.* It is the internet equivalent of a head cold - things get all stuffed up, you feel hot and bothered, and nothing seems to help [except Nyquil (tm) and lots of rest] - no matter what you do nothing helps and it goes away in about two weeks.

Shooting a mailing list in the head makes the problem go away but is a really drastic solution for something that is temporary in nature.
ED
*

Accidental deaths by firearms account for less than 1% of the 30,000.
*There are three times as many medical mistake deaths in the US than
there are accidental gun deaths.* Perhaps we need safety locks on
doctors and nurses?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:44 AM
"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin"

在 2011-09-29四的 07:31 -0600,compdoc写道:
> >We can be faster than one man.
> >Let's subscribe and use Group
> >http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntu-list
>

> The current Ubuntu mailing list is made public so that anyone searching for
> answers can find them.
>
> At first glance, with the google group, it seems only members can see the
> posts. That would make it less useful...

Additionally,the Google Group is blocked in Mainland China.

--
Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.