Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 PM
"Mazen A."

Default What's the root's password?

Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
installation. I need to su @ terminal.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Jeffrey Gray

It's not set.* Log in and run
'sudo passwd root'
Enter YOUR password
Enter the new root password twice

-Jeff

Old 09-28-2011, 07:31 PM
NoOp

On 09/28/2011 12:18 PM, Mazen A. wrote:
> Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
> installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
> installation. I need to su @ terminal.
Please see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
Note: it's a good idea to read the entire page.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:18:36 pm Mazen A. wrote:
> Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
> installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
> installation. I need to su @ terminal.

It doesn't have one. Ubuntu by default uses sudo for root actions; see docs
here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:32:52 pm Pastor JW wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:18:36 pm Mazen A. wrote:
> > Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
> > installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
> > installation. I need to su @ terminal.
>
> It doesn't have one. Ubuntu by default uses sudo for root actions; see
> docs here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Sorry, sent too fast. It is really not a very good idea to set one although
you can.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Avi Greenbury

Pastor JW wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:32:52 pm Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:18:36 pm Mazen A. wrote:
> > > Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
> > > installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this
> > > during the installation. I need to su @ terminal.
> >
> > It doesn't have one. Ubuntu by default uses sudo for root actions;
> > see docs here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
>
> Sorry, sent too fast. It is really not a very good idea to set one
> although you can.

Setting a root password is, generally, no less safe than the standard
out-of-bounds one which prevents anyone logging in as root. It's telling
people what it is that's unsafe.

--
Avi

Old 09-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Knute Johnson

Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
installation. I need to su @ terminal.

Thanks!

sudo su

--

Knute Johnson

Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 PM
NoOp

On 09/28/2011 03:15 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 9/28/2011 12:18 PM, Mazen A. wrote:
>> Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
>> installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
>> installation. I need to su @ terminal.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> sudo su

You might want to actually _read_
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
and
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6188826&postcount=4

You might find these helpful as well:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man8/sudo.8.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man8/sudo_root.8.html

Old 09-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Knute Johnson

Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
installation. I need to su @ terminal.

Thanks!

sudo su

You might want to actually _read_
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
and
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6188826&postcount=4

You might find these helpful as well:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man8/sudo.8.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man8/sudo_root.8.html

He didn't ask for nor did I give him a value judgement on using that
technique.

But since you responded, how would you change directories to one that
you can't read with your user privilege without doing sudo su?

--

Knute Johnson

Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 AM
"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin"

在 2011-09-28三的 12:18 -0700,Mazen A.写道:
> Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
> installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
> installation. I need to su @ terminal.
>
> Thanks!

you don't set the password for ROOT while installation,you only can set
password for your current user.

so,the password of ROOT is unset/empty.

--
Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.