Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   What's the root's password? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/581274-whats-roots-password.html)

"Mazen A." 09-28-2011 07:18 PM

What's the root's password?
 
Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
installation. I need to su @ terminal.


Thanks!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Jeffrey Gray 09-28-2011 07:25 PM

What's the root's password?
 
It's not set.* Log in and run
'sudo passwd root'
Enter YOUR password
Enter the new root password twice

-Jeff



On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Mazen A. <lists@knowtis.ca> wrote:

Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the installation. I need to su @ terminal.




Thanks!



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

NoOp 09-28-2011 07:31 PM

What's the root's password?
 
On 09/28/2011 12:18 PM, Mazen A. wrote:
> Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
> installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
> installation. I need to su @ terminal.
...
Please see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
Note: it's a good idea to read the entire page.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Pastor JW 09-28-2011 07:32 PM

What's the root's password?
 
On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:18:36 pm Mazen A. wrote:
> Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
> installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
> installation. I need to su @ terminal.

It doesn't have one. Ubuntu by default uses sudo for root actions; see docs
here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Pastor JW 09-28-2011 07:35 PM

What's the root's password?
 
On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:32:52 pm Pastor JW wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:18:36 pm Mazen A. wrote:
> > Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
> > installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
> > installation. I need to su @ terminal.
>
> It doesn't have one. Ubuntu by default uses sudo for root actions; see
> docs here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Sorry, sent too fast. It is really not a very good idea to set one although
you can.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Avi Greenbury 09-28-2011 08:47 PM

What's the root's password?
 
Pastor JW wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:32:52 pm Pastor JW wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:18:36 pm Mazen A. wrote:
> > > Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
> > > installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this
> > > during the installation. I need to su @ terminal.
> >
> > It doesn't have one. Ubuntu by default uses sudo for root actions;
> > see docs here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
>
> Sorry, sent too fast. It is really not a very good idea to set one
> although you can.
>

Setting a root password is, generally, no less safe than the standard
out-of-bounds one which prevents anyone logging in as root. It's telling
people what it is that's unsafe.

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Knute Johnson 09-28-2011 10:15 PM

What's the root's password?
 
On 9/28/2011 12:18 PM, Mazen A. wrote:

Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
installation. I need to su @ terminal.

Thanks!



sudo su

--

Knute Johnson

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

NoOp 09-28-2011 11:05 PM

What's the root's password?
 
On 09/28/2011 03:15 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 9/28/2011 12:18 PM, Mazen A. wrote:
>> Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
>> installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
>> installation. I need to su @ terminal.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>
> sudo su
>

You might want to actually _read_
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
and
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6188826&postcount=4

You might find these helpful as well:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man8/sudo.8.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man8/sudo_root.8.html



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Knute Johnson 09-29-2011 02:30 AM

What's the root's password?
 
On 9/28/2011 4:05 PM, NoOp wrote:

On 09/28/2011 03:15 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:

On 9/28/2011 12:18 PM, Mazen A. wrote:

Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
installation. I need to su @ terminal.

Thanks!



sudo su



You might want to actually _read_
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
and
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6188826&postcount=4

You might find these helpful as well:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man8/sudo.8.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man8/sudo_root.8.html


He didn't ask for nor did I give him a value judgement on using that
technique.


But since you responded, how would you change directories to one that
you can't read with your user privilege without doing sudo su?


--

Knute Johnson

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin" 09-29-2011 03:17 AM

What's the root's password?
 
在 2011-09-28三的 12:18 -0700,Mazen A.写道:
> Hello, I'm wondering what is the root's password post ubuntu
> installation? I don't remember I got the chance to set this during the
> installation. I need to su @ terminal.
>
> Thanks!
>

you don't set the password for ROOT while installation,you only can set
password for your current user.

so,the password of ROOT is unset/empty.

--
Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.