Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Harry

Default Whats up with Bash expansion?

I'm brand new with ubuntu but have run linux for quite a few
years. I've run many versions of bash... not sure I've used the
current one before though. I just switched from Gentoo linux after
several years on it but not sure what version was the last I used.

What I'm seeing that puzzles me is different than pre ubuntu so I'm
not sure if its something changed in bash, or maybe the way it gets
configured on Ubuntu.

Expansion seems to work different and actually causes time consuming
delays in getting the text right.

Here is an example:

I use a few homeboy variables to help navigation. $rea equals
/home/reader, so in these command:

ls $rea/some<tab> to complete to /home/reader/someplace

That is how its worked for eons... but now when I hit tab the buck
gets escaped $rea/som<tab> and of course that cancels any expansion.

Pre ubuntu (for me) I would see both the variable and the partial
directory name expand when hitting <tab>.

So instead of $rea expanding to /home/reader.... it gets escaped
$rea. Now I have to back up and remove the escape slash and have
lost the expansion property that has been such a time saver.

Does anyone know if this is something that is configurable?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 PM
NoOp

On 09/28/2011 12:10 PM, Harry wrote:
> I'm brand new with ubuntu but have run linux for quite a few
> years. I've run many versions of bash... not sure I've used the
> current one before though. I just switched from Gentoo linux after
> several years on it but not sure what version was the last I used.
>
> What I'm seeing that puzzles me is different than pre ubuntu so I'm
> not sure if its something changed in bash, or maybe the way it gets
> configured on Ubuntu.
>
> Expansion seems to work different and actually causes time consuming
> delays in getting the text right.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> I use a few homeboy variables to help navigation. $rea equals
> /home/reader, so in these command:
>
> ls $rea/some<tab> to complete to /home/reader/someplace
>
> That is how its worked for eons... but now when I hit tab the buck
> gets escaped $rea/som<tab> and of course that cancels any expansion.
>
> Pre ubuntu (for me) I would see both the variable and the partial
> directory name expand when hitting <tab>.
>
> So instead of $rea expanding to /home/reader.... it gets escaped
> $rea. Now I have to back up and remove the escape slash and have
> lost the expansion property that has been such a time saver.
>
> Does anyone know if this is something that is configurable?

See if this helps:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/en/man1/bash.1.html
[Easier than reading from the terminal as it's a long man page & you can
click on the left side for sections of interest; 'Simple Command
Expansion', 'Redirection' etc.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Harry Putnam

NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>> Does anyone know if this is something that is configurable?
>
> See if this helps:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/en/man1/bash.1.html
> [Easier than reading from the terminal as it's a long man page & you can
> click on the left side for sections of interest; 'Simple Command
> Expansion', 'Redirection' etc.

Do you know know if this behavior is new? Do you notice a difference
recently?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Hal Burgiss

Expansion seems to work different and actually causes time consuming

delays in getting the text right.

Here is an example:

I use a few homeboy variables to help navigation. *$rea equals

/home/reader, so in these command:

* ls $rea/some<tab> to complete to /home/reader/someplace

That is how its worked for eons... but now when I hit tab the buck

gets escaped $rea/som<tab> and of course that cancels any expansion.

Pre ubuntu (for me) I would see both the variable and the partial

directory name expand when hitting <tab>.

So instead of $rea expanding to /home/reader.... it gets escaped

$rea. *Now I have to back up and remove the escape slash and have

lost the expansion property that has been such a time saver.

Does anyone know if this is something that is configurable?

At least on some versions of Ubuntu its broken, indeed. AFAIK, its not configurable, but would love to find out otherwise. Its a royal PITA.*

In /etc/bash_completion, look for the line ...*
**if shopt -q cdable_vars; then
and comment out that entire if section (5 lines). On 10.04 its at line 1385. On 8.04 (it predates that release), *its on line 3154. Then start a new shell, and see if that is better. This works for me.*

--*Hal

Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 AM
Nils Kassube

Harry wrote:
> I'm brand new with ubuntu but have run linux for quite a few
> years. I've run many versions of bash... not sure I've used the
> current one before though. I just switched from Gentoo linux after
> several years on it but not sure what version was the last I used.
>
> What I'm seeing that puzzles me is different than pre ubuntu so I'm
> not sure if its something changed in bash, or maybe the way it gets
> configured on Ubuntu.
>
> Expansion seems to work different and actually causes time consuming
> delays in getting the text right.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> I use a few homeboy variables to help navigation. $rea equals
> /home/reader, so in these command:
>
> ls $rea/some<tab> to complete to /home/reader/someplace
>
> That is how its worked for eons... but now when I hit tab the buck
> gets escaped $rea/som<tab> and of course that cancels any expansion.
>
> Pre ubuntu (for me) I would see both the variable and the partial
> directory name expand when hitting <tab>.
>
> So instead of $rea expanding to /home/reader.... it gets escaped
> $rea. Now I have to back up and remove the escape slash and have
> lost the expansion property that has been such a time saver.
>
> Does anyone know if this is something that is configurable?

From another thread on this list it looks like one of these bug reports
might help you:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/768876>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acroread/+bug/769866>