Old 10-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Paul Sladen

Default Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list - clarifications

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011, Ernest Doub wrote:
> Support is a two way street.

So which category best describes yourself? Are you:

(a) a User, with a support request. If so, ask a detailed question.
(b) a Supporter, answering a user's question. If so, answer it.

If you're not doing either, you're contributing to the noise here.
Just as I (sadly) am doing right now too.

> I know the developers don't really want to hear that about something

On the contrary. Developers working on Ubuntu and its associated
components *really appreciate* receiving specific hard feedback.

It's open-source and in free software the ultimate currency is kudos.
It is far more worrying if nobody says anything.

(BTW: Vague hand-wavery "I don't like it" comments/email are much hard
to process with since it generally takes several rounds first to find
out what the real—and usually tiny—issue is. You can save lots of
time by being specific when contacting the developers/designers in the
first place).

> … unacceptable to a large

I believe that Mark Shuttleworth has stated on record that the
uptake speed numbers for Ubuntu 11.04 suggest otherwise:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/717#comment-364476

Do you have hard numbers too? If not it's FUD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

> Better they hear it now than after Canonical is a smoking pile of rubble

There's no "they" and "us" in Ubuntu; just "we". The bug URL is:

http://launchpad.net/unity/+filebug?field.title=When+I+...+Unity+does+not+... +as+expected

If you have:

(a) got a specific, detailed issue, please file it there.

(b) not yet worked out what the detailed concern about Unity
is, please work it out first, then use the above URL.

(c) actually got no specific detailed concerns. Please try to help
other users with their direct questions being asked.

-Paul

Old 10-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Colin Law

On 3 October 2011 09:28, Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 09:29 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
>>
>> On 28 September 2011 17:20, Cybe R. Wizard<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com>
>> *wrote:
>>>
>>> The implied intent was pretty clear, Alan. *Sam was asking if the
>>> change of meeting time changed the date of meeting. *You replied, "Yes."
>>> At the time I, Sam and likely many more took your, "yes," to mean that
>>> the meeting /had/ already been bumped to the later date.
>>>
>> Lack of clarity on both sides then. I'm not taking responsibility for
>> absolutely nobody looking at a wiki page and absolutely nobody turning
>> up to the meeting. The members of sounder didn't bother so more fool
>> them for the list being shut down.
>>

> As I attempt to catch up on this thread, it seems clear that those of us who
> appreciate this list need to attend CC meetings, right? *Now, meetings
> happen *on IRC? Is that right? *I wonder how many of the users of this list
> know how to use IRC.

Not me
I presume I could if I invested sufficient time.

Colin

Old 10-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Montag, den 03.10.2011, 01:28 -0700 schrieb Patton Echols:

> As I attempt to catch up on this thread, it seems clear that those of us
> who appreciate this list need to attend CC meetings, right? Now,
> meetings happen on IRC? Is that right? I wonder how many of the users
> of this list know how to use IRC.
sudo apt-get install xchat ...
after that, open xchat, select "Ubuntu Servers" from the popped up
server window.
once you are connected to the server, join the #ubuntu-meeting
channel ... thats it.

ciao
oli

Old 10-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Samstag, den 01.10.2011, 19:46 -0700 schrieb NoOp:

> Are you objecting to the posts/advise in that thread? Whereby I advised
> the poster ...
yes, you did well, but there were some posts that didnt (one iirc even
clearly showed that the poster likely never used ubuntu before (he
talked about noting down the rootpassword you have been asked during
during install or some such))

ciao
oli

Old 10-04-2011, 02:47 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Tue, October 4, 2011 14:02, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 03.10.2011, 01:28 -0700 schrieb Patton Echols:
>
>> As I attempt to catch up on this thread, it seems clear that those of us
>> who appreciate this list need to attend CC meetings, right? Now,
>> meetings happen on IRC? Is that right? I wonder how many of the users
>> of this list know how to use IRC.
> sudo apt-get install xchat ...
> after that, open xchat, select "Ubuntu Servers" from the popped up
> server window.
> once you are connected to the server, join the #ubuntu-meeting
> channel ... thats it.

There's the technical part of using irc, which you have explained (sort
of), and then there's the non-technical part. Things like how to behave on
irc.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 04.10.2011, 16:47 +0200 schrieb Amedee Van Gasse:
> There's the technical part of using irc, which you have explained (sort
> of), and then there's the non-technical part. Things like how to behave on
> irc.
... well, if people would just apply the behavior limits online which
they set themselves in real life we wouldnt need extra rules ...

effectively the same rules as on maling lists apply to all ubuntu irc
channels (indeed, modulo the technical differences ... i.e. top posting
is really really hard to do on IRC ), the same CoC and similar
etiquettes are used ... see [1] if you want more details ...

ciao
oli

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/Guidelines

Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Avi Greenbury

Billie Walsh wrote:

> The hardest part of using IRC is following multiple conversations at
> the same time.

Yeah, in busy and unstructured channels. In a meeting, it's quite
linear anyway, and in most channels people are polite enough to start
their conversation after the current one has ended. Also, you
quite easily address particular people in IRC.

> Think of it as kind of following all the conversations on this list
> all jumbled together into one long text string.
>
> Something like this:

No, it's not at all like that because there's far fewer conversations
at a time, each reply is shorter and replies to specific questions are
directed at the asker, even outside of meetings.

--
Avi