Old 10-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Billie Walsh

Default Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list - clarifications

On 10/04/2011 09:47 AM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

On Tue, October 4, 2011 14:02, Oliver Grawert wrote:

hi,
Am Montag, den 03.10.2011, 01:28 -0700 schrieb Patton Echols:

As I attempt to catch up on this thread, it seems clear that those of us
who appreciate this list need to attend CC meetings, right? Now,
meetings happen on IRC? Is that right? I wonder how many of the users
of this list know how to use IRC.

sudo apt-get install xchat ...
after that, open xchat, select "Ubuntu Servers" from the popped up
server window.
once you are connected to the server, join the #ubuntu-meeting
channel ... thats it.

There's the technical part of using irc, which you have explained (sort
of), and then there's the non-technical part. Things like how to behave on
irc.

The hardest part of using IRC is following multiple conversations at the
same time. Think of it as kind of following all the conversations on
this list all jumbled together into one long text string.

Something like this:

[...]

... well, if people would just apply the behavior limits online which
they set themselves in real life we wouldnt need extra rules ...
effectively the same rules as on maling lists apply to all ubuntu irc
channels (indeed, modulo the technical differences ... i.e. top posting
is really really hard to do on IRC ), the same CoC and similar
etiquettes are used ... see [1] if you want more details ...

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin -

Old 10-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Billie Walsh