-   -   Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list - clarifications (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/581106-additional-moderator-s-sought-ubuntu-users-list-clarifications.html)

"Cybe R. Wizard" 09-28-2011 12:50 PM

Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list - clarifications

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:28:51 +0100
Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:

> At the last
> Community Council meeting (and on at least two occasions on the past 2
> years I've been on the Community Council) it's been suggested that
> this list should be shutdown for good...
>
> Carry on with the crap, and I assure you the list will be shut down

Just as I said. Thanks for the vindication. Do you yet have a solid
date for this?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Alan Pope 09-28-2011 01:38 PM

On 28 September 2011 14:20, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> If one really seriously thinks about this, what Alan stated, "At the last
> Community Council meeting (and on at least two occasions on the past 2
> years I've been on the Community Council) it's been suggested that
> this list should be shutdown for good..." is more than indicative of the
> attitude that Canonical's "Community Council" has towards its users.

The Community Council is not staffed only by Canonical employees. It's
the Ubuntu Community Council. But lets not let facts get in the way of
a good conspiracy though.

> cannot help wondering for how long it was mooted by the "Council" to
> shutdown Sounder?

It wasn't mooted by the council. It was suggested by individuals. We
discussed it and came to the conclusion (for both lists) on multiple
occasions not to shut them down.

> ".....and on at least two occasions on the past 2 years...".
>
> And all this time people were made to believe that their interests were
> being looked after and promoted by Canonical's "Community Council" when
> 'they' were plotting all the time to shutdown this venue.

Nope. Not true. Take the tinfoil hat off, it doesn't suit.

Cheers,
Al.

"Cybe R. Wizard" 09-28-2011 01:41 PM

Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list - clarifications

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:20:31 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> If one really seriously thinks about this, what Alan stated, "At the
> last Community Council meeting (and on at least two occasions on the
> past 2 years I've been on the Community Council) it's been suggested
> that this list should be shutdown for good..." is more than
> indicative of the attitude that Canonical's "Community Council" has
> towards its users. I cannot help wondering for how long it was mooted
> by the "Council" to shutdown Sounder?
>
> ".....and on at least two occasions on the past 2 years...".
>
> And all this time people were made to believe that their interests
> were being looked after and promoted by Canonical's "Community
> Council" when 'they' were plotting all the time to shutdown this
> venue.
>
> BC

I'm surprised that this is a surprise to anyone. The 'Community'
Council is and has always been a misnomer. It is the Ubuntu Council to
Control the Community as I have repeatedly noted. C'mon, it's friends
picking friends and always has been. There is no desire at Canonical or
within Ubuntu to really and truly /be/ the Linux for human beings.
That's marketing hype, pure and simple.

Otherwise all these decisions would be made in the open instead of
'transparently' which means out of sight.

Ask me, Ubuntu is now running scared that it will go the same was as
Libranet Linux. There are newer and perhaps better distros that folks
are trying out now instead of drinking the Ubu Kool-Aid.

...and Mark's investment has yet to pay off. Sad, that.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Alan Pope 09-28-2011 01:47 PM

On 28 September 2011 14:41, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Otherwise all these decisions would be made in the open instead of
> 'transparently' which means out of sight.

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html

Specifically:-

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/09/20/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t11:10

> Ask me, Ubuntu is now running scared that it will go the same was as
> Libranet Linux. *There are newer and perhaps better distros that folks
> are trying out now instead of drinking the Ubu Kool-Aid.

Can we _please_ keep on-topic in a thread predominantly about keeping
the list on-topic?

Al.

Oliver Grawert 09-28-2011 01:47 PM

Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list - clarifications

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 28.09.2011, 23:20 +1000 schrieb Basil Chupin:

> attitude that Canonical's "Community Council" has towards its users. I
> cannot help wondering for how long it was mooted by the "Council" to
> shutdown Sounder?
please check the facts [1], only two members in a council of 8 are
actually related to canonical. the council gets elected by the
community, consists mostly of community members and has absolutely
nothing to do with canonical.

> ".....and on at least two occasions on the past 2 years...".
>
> And all this time people were made to believe that their interests were
> being looked after and promoted by Canonical's "Community Council" when
> 'they' were plotting all the time to shutdown this venue.
people were also asked to participate in the council meetings about the
issues with sounder... iirc only noop and amendee showed up at the
meeting where sounder shutdown was actually discussed, even though there
was a notification mail to this list back then.

the council is *your* governance instance where you as a community
member can bring up issues and have them decided, if you dont show
interest in their doings by showing up at the meetings and bringing up
your cause, where do you take the right to complain about "their"
decisions ?

if you check the launchpad page even closer you might notice that many
of the council members will expire in october ... elections are upcoming
and i guess some will not be up for re-election, so you are free to
become a council member and prevent/change the decisions you dont
like...

ciao
oli

[1] https://launchpad.net/~communitycouncil/+members

Jaime Jaramillo 09-28-2011 02:13 PM

Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list - clarifications

This thread went out of its principal topic, so , I am going to "auto moderate myself" and not read it anymore, so boring discusion,lets talk about technical issues and no abut conspiracies.
They are asking for more people that want to help with actual moderation (It already exist, come on!!).
J3

Alan Pope 09-28-2011 02:37 PM

On 28 September 2011 15:25, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I did not suggest that it was staffed by Canonical employees.
>
> But you cannot deny that it is not under the aegis of, and created by,
> Canonical - hence "Canonical's 'Community Council'".

I can. You can continue to protest otherwise ad nauseum, but that
doesn't make it true.

> Aaah. "..suggested by individuals.." -- who shall, of course, remain
> nameless, eh?

No, but if people actually bothered to click through links when I send
them they'd see who suggested things as it's in the meeting logs.
Granted sometimes it happens in closed mailing lists, but on this
occasion it was in the open. Pretty clear that Mark suggested shutting
the list down.

>> *We
>> discussed it and came to the conclusion (for both lists) on multiple
>> occasions not to shut them down.
> Ce`? But then why was Sounder shutdown?

We discussed these lists on multiple occasions and on some of those
occasions it was decided to not shut them down, on one occasion for
one list it was decided to shut it down.

> However, I don't think that you would make it into the diplomatic corp - and
> I (all of us here actually) are most pleased about this because what you say
> we can take as being non-bullshit even though you try to couch it in such BS
> terms (no offence :-) ).

I am not trying to couch it in any other terms than as I see it.

> "We discussed it and came to the conclusion ( *for* *both* *lists* ) on
> *multiple*
> occasions not to shut them down."
>
> (My emphasis.)

Times and situations change.