Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Ric Moore

Default Nasty mess installing sendmail

On 09/28/2011 12:16 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:

Do to unbridled personal bungling, I've created a nasty mess while
installing sendmail.

I inadvertantly deleted /etc/init.d/sendmail. Well I thought I'd just
reinstall sendmail to re-aquire that file.

So uninstalled sendmail... with aptitude but it uninstalled a few
other parts of the tools tool.

There appear to be several packages involved.
p sendmail
i sendmail-base
C sendmail-bin
i sendmail-cf

As you see I now have some installed and some not. The rub comes with
sendmail-bin which is the package that contains /etc/init.d/sendmail

Any attempt to uninstall it tells me it is not installed, any attempt
to install it ends with an error that appears to happend due to that
missing file, or the fact that sendmail-bin cannot be --configured.

I've tried any number of ways to sneak up on it, but aptitude won't
let me. Or more acurately I don't know how to use aptitude well
enough to resolve the problem.

I tried apt-get with the --force-yes flag, in the hopes of forcing the
install but it didn't work... showed the same dpkg error.

,----
| /etc/mail/aliases: 4 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 66 bytes total
| invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/sendmail not found.
| dpkg: error processing sendmail-bin (--configure):
|
| subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
| status 100
|
| Errors were encountered while processing:
| sendmail-bin
| E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
`----

So, can anyone recommend some method to get past this, and get the
pkgs fully installed?

Purging them all and re-installing would probably be the quickest way. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Avi Greenbury

Harry Putnam wrote:

> Do to unbridled personal bungling, I've created a nasty mess while
> installing sendmail.

Well, you're using sendmail, of course you're going to end up with a
mess

> I inadvertantly deleted /etc/init.d/sendmail. Well I thought I'd just
> reinstall sendmail to re-aquire that file.

The easier way to do this in future is to retrieve the package, unpack
it and extract that file from it. There's several howtos on extracting
deb packages on the net, which you'll find once you know that's what
you're looking for

> ,----
> | /etc/mail/aliases: 4 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 66 bytes total
> | invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/sendmail not found.
> | dpkg: error processing sendmail-bin (--configure):
> |
> | subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
> | status 100
> |
> | Errors were encountered while processing:
> | sendmail-bin
> | E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> `----

This is telling you that the post-install script failed when called
with --configure. This needs to succeed (i.e. exit with a status of 0)
in order for dpkg to continue.

My guess is that the postinstall script is trying to
call

/etc/init.d/sendmail stop

to make sure it's stopped, or perhaps start it (i'm not sure precisely
what you've asked apt to do by now ). The quickest way to make dpkg
happy is to edit the postinst script such that thinks it's succeeded,
probably by commenting out that bit of it.

The postinstall script will be at:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/sendmail-bin.postinst

And you need to poke through that to find where it's trying to
call /etc/init.d/sendmail and make it not do that. Obviously, you
should be sure that it doesn't need to do whatever it's trying to do
(start or stop sendmail) first.

If it's trying to start, then that's generally mostly pointless, so you
should be fine to just comment out the line. If it's trying to stop it,
then you want to make sure it genuinely is stopped before telling dpkg
that it's installed.

That done, you've a configured-but-broken sendmail. You should then be
able to finish removing the package, and go on to install it. Before
reinstalling it, do

apt-get clean

to get rid of your modified postinst file, so the new, proper one is
installed instead. It's worth remembering that editing postist (and
other package) scripts is also a rather efficient way to break things,
but most of repairs are.

--
Avi

Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Harry Putnam

Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> writes:

>> So, can anyone recommend some method to get past this, and get the
>> pkgs fully installed?
>

> Purging them all and re-installing would probably be the quickest way. Ric

OK, thanks for that... Wish I'd known to look for `purge' in man
aptitude. I breezed right over it like a doodoo.

Still not finding concise information about how to interpret the
output of `aptitude'... I'm sure its equally obvious but I need a clue
with the search strings.

After purge I still see things that puzzle. Like the uppercase A and
the fact that `sendmail' is still not installed.

p sendmail
i A sendmail-base
i sendmail-bin
i A sendmail-cf