-   -   how to read aptitude output (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/580962-how-read-aptitude-output.html)

Harry Putnam 09-28-2011 03:49 AM

how to read aptitude output

can anyone point me to a cheat sheet or the like for understanding
`aptitude' ouput.

I grepped the man page on ouput but found nothing of interest.
I really don't want to read all 900+ lines to find out what the the
letters at the beginning of the lines mean.

Yeah `i' is self explanatory... but thats about it.

What does `c' or `u' mean... is there a list somewhere that tells what
they all mean?

Christian Schult 09-28-2011 10:17 AM

how to read aptitude output

Hello Harry,

Harry Putnam wrote:

> can anyone point me to a cheat sheet or the like for understanding
> `aptitude' ouput.
>
> I grepped the man page on ouput but found nothing of interest.
> I really don't want to read all 900+ lines to find out what the the
> letters at the beginning of the lines mean.
>
> Yeah `i' is self explanatory... but thats about it.
>
> What does `c' or `u' mean... is there a list somewhere that tells what
> they all mean?

You can run aptitude, press F1 or ? and scroll to the bottom.

regards

Christian

Harry Putnam 09-28-2011 10:21 AM

how to read aptitude output

Christian Schult <cschult@gmx.de> writes:

> Hello Harry,
>
> Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> can anyone point me to a cheat sheet or the like for understanding
>> `aptitude' ouput.
>>
>> I grepped the man page on ouput but found nothing of interest.
>> I really don't want to read all 900+ lines to find out what the the
>> letters at the beginning of the lines mean.
>>
>> Yeah `i' is self explanatory... but thats about it.
>>
>> What does `c' or `u' mean... is there a list somewhere that tells what
>> they all mean?
>
> You can run aptitude, press F1 or ? and scroll to the bottom.

Thanks, its always so embarringly simple when you see the clue.