Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
PM

Default A basic question regarding grub display options

hi,

When I boot my PC (dual booted with windows), an option to choose comes from where I need to select the OS. I installed, Start-Up Manager, and now I can set the options graphically for that. But how can I hide the choice in the list of OS.

Two extra choices come - 1) For memory test (I don't know why this comes) and 2) Ubuntu Recovery Mode. I guess there would not be any problem if I need to hide these two options (since they are not used, more clearly I never used). So how these two options can be hidden in that display which is not possible from Start-Up Manager.

Thx.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Colin Watson

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:23:56PM +0530, PM wrote:
> Two extra choices come - 1) For memory test (I don't know why this comes)
> and 2) Ubuntu Recovery Mode. I guess there would not be any problem if I
> need to hide these two options (since they are not used, more clearly I
> never used). So how these two options can be hidden in that display which is
> not possible from Start-Up Manager.

To disable the memory test options, remove the memtest86+ package.

To disable the recovery mode option, set GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true in
/etc/default/grub (or GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY=true in Ubuntu 10.10
and earlier) and run 'sudo update-grub'.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
PM

To disable the memory test options, remove the memtest86+ package.

Yes, I would remove, but I didn't install that package, might be in the default installation, it was there, so must be having some utility!

*

To disable the recovery mode option, set GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true in

/etc/default/grub (or GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY=true in Ubuntu 10.10

and earlier) and run 'sudo update-grub'.

Would it be not required in the future too?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Colin Law

On 27 September 2011 17:38, PM <ubuntu.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:

>> To disable the memory test options, remove the memtest86+ package.
>
> Yes, I would remove, but I didn't install that package, might be in the
> default installation, it was there, so must be having some utility!

It allows a memory test, this cannot be done fully after logging in
which is why it is provided here.

>> To disable the recovery mode option, set GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true in
>> /etc/default/grub (or GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY=true in Ubuntu 10.10
>> and earlier) and run 'sudo update-grub'.
>
> Would it be not required in the future too?

If you ever had problems that prevented a normal boot then it is
easier to recover if this option is still in you boot options. With
linux you can do anything you like, so it is up to you to decide
whether to take the risk.

Colin

Old 09-27-2011, 05:03 PM
NoOp

On 09/27/2011 08:09 AM, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:23:56PM +0530, PM wrote:
>> Two extra choices come - 1) For memory test (I don't know why this comes)
>> and 2) Ubuntu Recovery Mode. I guess there would not be any problem if I
>> need to hide these two options (since they are not used, more clearly I
>> never used). So how these two options can be hidden in that display which is
>> not possible from Start-Up Manager.
>
> To disable the memory test options, remove the memtest86+ package.

Rather than remove it, why not remove the executable bit?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
[/etc/grub.d/ (directory)]
<quote>
20_memtest86+ Searches for /boot/memtest86+.bin and includes it as an
option on the GRUB 2 boot menu. There is currently no line option to
remove this entry from the menu. The display of memtest86+ can be
inhibited by removing the executable bit from this file and running sudo
update-grub.
</quote>

And yes, I know you are a grub2 developer :-) I'm just curious why you
recommend removing the package rather than removing the executable bit.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:20 PM
"Goh Lip"

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 00:47:10 +0800, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
If you ever had problems that prevented a normal boot then it is
easier to recover if this option is still in you boot options. With
linux you can do anything you like, so it is up to you to decide
whether to take the risk.

To boot to recovery, you can amend the linux line of the entry
from
linux /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-xx-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxx ro splash quiet
linux /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x-xx-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxx ro 1

Regards - Goh Lip
--
I used to have an open mind
but my brains kept falling off.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Goh Lip

On 09/27/2011 10:53 PM, PM wrote:

1) For memory test (I don't know why this comes)

$ info -f grub -n 'badram'

On 09/28/2011 01:03 AM, NoOp wrote:
> And yes, I know you are a grub2 developer:-)

Colin's the grub2 head honcho, NoOp, who couldn't get his team to write
a good man page until recently, so he has to write it himself . Other
than the gnu grub2 webpage, there is a good grub2 info facility in
One-irate Omelet (not so good/complete in Nutty). At terminal, "info -f
grub" all 72 pages.

Regards - Goh Lip
ps: Colin, in this mailing list, whatever you hear from the moderators,
we need thick skin and utterly no respect; but we get the beer's here.
(It's free, BTW)

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:49 PM
NoOp

On 09/27/2011 10:40 AM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 10:53 PM, PM wrote:
>> 1) For memory test (I don't know why this comes)
> $ info -f grub -n 'badram'
>
> On 09/28/2011 01:03 AM, NoOp wrote:
> > And yes, I know you are a grub2 developer:-)
>
> Colin's the grub2 head honcho, NoOp, who couldn't get his team to write

Yes I realise that; I'm well aware who Colin Watson is.

> a good man page until recently, so he has to write it himself . Other
> than the gnu grub2 webpage, there is a good grub2 info facility in
> One-irate Omelet (not so good/complete in Nutty). At terminal, "info -f
> grub" all 72 pages.

Easier to read it here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
or via gvim.

But the question still remains re memtest86: "Rather than remove it, why
not remove the executable bit?" as suggested on the
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 page?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 PM
PM

Rather than remove it, why not remove the executable bit?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

[/etc/grub.d/ (directory)]

<quote>

20_memtest86+ Searches for /boot/memtest86+.bin and includes it as an

option on the GRUB 2 boot menu. There is currently no line option to

remove this entry from the menu. The display of memtest86+ can be

inhibited by removing the executable bit from this file and running sudo

update-grub.

</quote>

Removing only the executable bit makes recovery mode still in the system but that option would not be highlighted in the display. Is it like that? It's a better option then.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Goh Lip