Old 09-28-2011, 06:32 AM
PM

Default A basic question regarding grub display options

That does indeed work for me; all of my systems have the excutable bit

removed. You can test for yourself; open a terminal and enter (without

the '$' - that's the prompt):

$ sudo chmod 644 /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+

Then reboot and you should no longer see it on the grub menu. To change

it back should you need/want to in the future:

$ sudo chmod 755 /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+

The main thing with this package 'memtest86+' is that it is available only while getting booted and not otherwise! It is not possible to check the RAM after getting logged in since the RAM could be in continuous usage!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:22 PM
NoOp

On 09/27/2011 11:32 PM, PM wrote:
>> That does indeed work for me; all of my systems have the excutable bit
>> removed. You can test for yourself; open a terminal and enter (without
>> the '$' - that's the prompt):
>>
>> $ sudo chmod 644 /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+
>>
>> Then reboot and you should no longer see it on the grub menu. To change
>> it back should you need/want to in the future:
>>
>> $ sudo chmod 755 /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+
>>

> The main thing with this package 'memtest86+' is that it is available only
> while getting booted and not otherwise! It is not possible to check the RAM
> after getting logged in since the RAM could be in continuous usage!

Well... yes. That's the purpose of the application.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/memtest86+

Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Colin Watson

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:03:52AM -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 08:09 AM, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:23:56PM +0530, PM wrote:
> >> Two extra choices come - 1) For memory test (I don't know why this comes)
> >> and 2) Ubuntu Recovery Mode. I guess there would not be any problem if I
> >> need to hide these two options (since they are not used, more clearly I
> >> never used). So how these two options can be hidden in that display which is
> >> not possible from Start-Up Manager.
> >
> > To disable the memory test options, remove the memtest86+ package.
>
> Rather than remove it, why not remove the executable bit?

I didn't recommend that because I don't trust such a change to be
preserved on upgrades. It may be, but I haven't either tested it or
read the relevant bits of dpkg source code to confirm the behaviour, and
I think I'd need to do one or the other before recommending this.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Colin Watson

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 01:40:50AM +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 10:53 PM, PM wrote:
> >1) For memory test (I don't know why this comes)
> $ info -f grub -n 'badram'
>
> On 09/28/2011 01:03 AM, NoOp wrote:
> > And yes, I know you are a grub2 developer:-)
>
> Colin's the grub2 head honcho,

FWIW, while I appreciate the compliment, it's not true. :-) I'm just
one of the developers; Vladimir Serbinenko is the current lead
maintainer.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 09-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Peter Hillier-Brook

That does indeed work for me; all of my systems have the excutable bit
removed. You can test for yourself; open a terminal and enter (without
the '$' - that's the prompt):

$ sudo chmod 644 /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+

Then reboot and you should no longer see it on the grub menu. To change
it back should you need/want to in the future:

$ sudo chmod 755 /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+

The main thing with this package 'memtest86+' is that it is available only
while getting booted and not otherwise! It is not possible to check the RAM
after getting logged in since the RAM could be in continuous usage!

Well... yes. That's the purpose of the application.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/memtest86+

You seem to have overlooked the need to run update-grub to rebuild
grub.cfg after changing the file permissions!

Peter HB