Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Alan Pope

Default Additional moderator(s) sought for ubuntu-users list

Hi all,

The Ubuntu Community Council would like to invite active members of
this list to volunteer as moderators.

Once the Community Council has some volunteers we will make a
selection and announce on the list.

The role entails keeping the list within the bounds of the mailing
list guidelines [0] & [1]. More specifically this involves keeping
conversations within the Ubuntu Code of Conduct and ensuring
conversations on-topic. As this is a support list we expect moderators
to encourage support, and actively discourage off-topic chatter on the
list.

Ideally moderators would have some experience of mailman moderation
tools and will have moderated similar lists in the past. Ubuntu
Membership [1] is not required for this role, but being a moderator
for a period will contribute towards gaining Ubuntu Membership.

Please email community-council@lists.ubuntu.com to nominate yourself.

Questions/comments are welcome publicly in this thread, or privately
to the Community Council.

Many thanks,
Alan Pope

[2] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership

Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Sven Aluoor

Does this means that ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com will be moderated
and censured?

cheers Sven

Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Alan Pope

Hi Sven,

On 27 September 2011 10:55, Sven Aluoor <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this means that ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com will be moderated
> and censured?

It means more people will be keeping an eye on the content of this
list with a view to keeping it in line with the already existing
guidelines.

Al.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:45:45 +0100
Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The Ubuntu Community Council would like to invite active members of
> this list to volunteer as moderators.

Uh, oh, looks like this list's days are numbered, too, just like
Sounder's were. Why not just let people be people as long as there's no
personal abuse going on?

What /are/ you Ubuntu Community Council folks so very afraid of?

Oh, wait, Ubuntu is the Linux for Human Beings except for you and you
and...

Cybe R. Wizard -community/Community
--
Registered GNU/Linux user # 126326
Registered Ubuntu User # 2136

Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:00:38 am Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:45:45 +0100
>
> Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The Ubuntu Community Council would like to invite active members of
> > this list to volunteer as moderators.
>
> Uh, oh, looks like this list's days are numbered, too, just like
> Sounder's were. Why not just let people be people as long as there's no
> personal abuse going on?

Hopefully it would stop those 100 post long nonsense and off topic treads we
now see so much of. Because of the work load, I'd vote for the plural on the
moderator(s) question. A good helpful list shouldn't need to be filled with
noise all the time. It renders the list as worthless as Google and it ruins
the helpful part. Then too, the noise factor bogs the new users down in their
quest to actually learn how something works.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 09-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Shaun Jones

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:

On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:00:38 am Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:45:45 +0100

> Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > The Ubuntu Community Council would like to invite active members of

> > this list to volunteer as moderators.

> Uh, oh, looks like this list's days are numbered, too, just like

> Sounder's were. Why not just let people be people as long as there's no

> personal abuse going on?

Hopefully it would stop those 100 post long nonsense and off topic treads we

now see so much of. *Because of the work load, I'd vote for the plural on the

moderator(s) question. *A good helpful list shouldn't need to be filled with

noise all the time. *It renders the list as worthless as Google and it ruins

the helpful part. Then too, the noise factor bogs the new users down in their

quest to actually learn how something works.

*This is good news, there has been too much Unity bashing, unhelpful advice and all entirely too muchoff topic nonsense. Hopefully then with good moderators the new users who show up can now get*
proper advice and suggestions instead of the "unity sux" reply.*
--
Mister Jones*

Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Avi Greenbury

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Uh, oh, looks like this list's days are numbered, too, just like
> Sounder's were.

No, I don't think it is. It's quite inarguable, I think, that the need
for moderation is a result of the closing of -sounder, but this would
be more the beginning of a revival of this list than its end.

It's been a distinctly less useful resource since the loss of an
off-topic alternative, and I'd really appreciate it returning to being
on-topic.

> Why not just let people be people as long as there's no personal
> abuse going on?

Because this is a list with a fairly narrow focus - Ubuntu technical
support. The absence of an off-topic alternative hardly condones the
use of this list as one and I'd very much appreciate efforts to keep it
much more on-topic, and therefore worth actually reading.

Even if the off-topic discussion didn't have such a negative impact on
the content of the list, it's still patently not what people come here
for, given that nowhere does it say that this is the place for such
off-topic discussion.

> What /are/ you Ubuntu Community Council folks so very afraid of?

I think the initial fear was that there was some inappropriate
discussion going on on -sounder, and the current fear is that this list
will return to its former state of being all but useless for genuine
support.

> Oh, wait, Ubuntu is the Linux for Human Beings except for you and you
> and...

Nobody's stopping anyone using it. This is just an attempt to make a
technical support list be a technical support list.

--
Avi

Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:00:44 -0700
Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:00:38 am Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:45:45 +0100
> >
> > Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > The Ubuntu Community Council would like to invite active members
> > > of this list to volunteer as moderators.
> >
> > Uh, oh, looks like this list's days are numbered, too, just like
> > Sounder's were. Why not just let people be people as long as
> > there's no personal abuse going on?
>
> Hopefully it would stop those 100 post long nonsense and off topic
> treads we now see so much of. Because of the work load, I'd vote for
> the plural on the moderator(s) question. A good helpful list
> shouldn't need to be filled with noise all the time. It renders the
> list as worthless as Google and it ruins the helpful part. Then too,
> the noise factor bogs the new users down in their quest to actually
> learn how something works.

If that's your feeling, why haven't /you/ been telling folks off for OT
posts? Why delegate authority to another who may have (/probably/ has)
a different agenda than that which is shown publicly?

My own experience is that, if a list needs moderation, the list members
themselves will take care of it, either through ignoring the
noise-makers or chastising them. Failing that, moderation only chases
away the good help, the ones who won't put up with nannies and /good
momma/ moderation.

I've seen it go just that way on a good many lists so far, Sounder
included, and imagine this one will go to the dogs pretty quickly if
moderation is imminent.

People /will/ talk, and about what they wish. Adults don't need
baby-sitting, no matter the fears of those in 'control'.

Of course, there's always the forum. Heh.

Cybe R. Wizard -prefers freedom to intellectual brow-beating
Winduhs

Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:25:10 +0100
Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:

> > Oh, wait, Ubuntu is the Linux for Human Beings except for you and
> > you and...
>
> Nobody's stopping anyone using it.

...yet. What do you think moderation is all about? Friendliness?
Hardly, someone who shall remain nameless has decided that some
viewpoints aren't desirous and are attempting to stop their
dissemination. What else can it possibly be for?

BTW, where are Karl Larson, Space Ghost, Res, ...?

Cybe R. Wizard -can y ou say, "moderated away?"
Winduhs

Old 09-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Avi Greenbury

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:00:44 -0700
> Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote
> > Hopefully it would stop those 100 post long nonsense and off topic
> > treads we now see so much of. Because of the work load, I'd vote
> > for the plural on the moderator(s) question. A good helpful list
> > shouldn't need to be filled with noise all the time. It renders the
> > list as worthless as Google and it ruins the helpful part. Then too,
> > the noise factor bogs the new users down in their quest to actually
> > learn how something works.
> >
> If that's your feeling, why haven't /you/ been telling folks off for
> OT posts? Why delegate authority to another who may have (/probably/
> has) a different agenda than that which is shown publicly?

Because that would add yet further to the useless and off topic posts,
and cause the thread to descend, as this surely will, to repeated
demands for the fulfilment of some apparent universal human right to
access to a canonical-hosted off-topic mailing list.

> My own experience is that, if a list needs moderation, the list
> members themselves will take care of it, either through ignoring the
> noise-makers or chastising them. Failing that, moderation only chases
> away the good help, the ones who won't put up with nannies and /good
> momma/ moderation.

I don't think particularly active moderation is likely to be needed for
more than a month or so. There's only a few users who habitually post
off-topic replies, and I suspect that the intended effect is precisely
for them to leave, and let the list return to its previously rather
useful state.

Really, the object of this excercise is probably to make more certain
that the rump of -sounder doesn't insist on staying here.

> I've seen it go just that way on a good many lists so far, Sounder
> included, and imagine this one will go to the dogs pretty quickly if
> moderation is imminent.

Sounder wasn't broken by moderation, it was closed because Canonical no
longer saw a reason to host a non-ubuntu-related list. They have even
more justification, in my opinion, to want to stop this one becoming
another not-ubuntu-related list.

> People /will/ talk, and about what they wish. Adults don't need
> baby-sitting, no matter the fears of those in 'control'.

This list was perfectly useful without all the off topic posts before
-sounder went. I really don't think we need those 'Adults' who are
incapable of remaining on-topic in a support list.

> Cybe R. Wizard -prefers freedom to intellectual brow-beating

There's no intellectual brow-beating going on. There's just moves to
make this list something that's worth subscribing to for someone who is
looking for a list matching the nominal description of this one.

--
Avi