Old 02-18-2008, 02:07 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default SMBMOUNT?-Solved

--- Nick Stinemates <nick@stinemates.org> wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- Nick Stinemates <nick@stinemates.org> wrote:

> new
> the

> any
> >>>
> >> Googled

> Would
> >>>
> >> the

> >> line

> the
> >>>
> >> man.

> >> Leonard
> >>
> >> Take a look at smbfs.
> >>
> >> I use it in the following fashion:
> >> mount -t smbfs -o
> >> username=<user>,password=<pass>
> //10.0.0.23/<samba
> >> mount point> /mnt/<local mount point>
> >>
> >> Good luck
> >> Nick Stinemates
> >>

> > Thanks Nick, but didn't work for me. Probably
> > something I did wrong, so here's what I typed on
> cli:
> >

> > lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$ man smbfs
> > No manual entry for smbfs
> > lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$ sudo mount -t smbfs
> -o
> > username=lchata,password=xxxxxx
> //192.168.1.65/lchata
> > /mnt/media/samba
> > Could not resolve mount point /mnt/media/samba
> > lchata@ubuntu64:~/Documents$
> >
> > Dir /media/samba does exist. What could be wrong?
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
> >

> You need to create it!
>
> sudo mkdir -p /mnt/media/samba

Well thanks Nick. Oh, dumb is me. Thought that /mnt
was just a command and /media/samba was the dir. It
worked afer creating the dir /mnt/media/samba. Thanks
for leading the blind and dumb.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 AM
James Gray

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 02:07:29 pm Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Well thanks Nick. Oh, dumb is me. Thought that /mnt
> was just a command and /media/samba was the dir. It
> worked afer creating the dir /mnt/media/samba. Thanks
> for leading the blind and dumb.

Just for clarification; there's nothing magical about moint-points. They are
simply empty directories where you wish to include a filesystem in the
directory tree. As all trees have roots (in our case '/') that is the
highest level you can mount a filesystem (given the special name of 'root
filesystem'...duh :P)

The root file system my be the only filesystem or it could just be a basic
boot-strap with mount-points for many other file systems. Confused yet?
Either way, this whole "there are no drive letters, only a tree" is one of
the harder things for people transitioning from "other" operating systems to
get their head around. Once you nail this, a lot of things start to make
more sense - espeically the "why" things are done a particular way, not just
the "how".

Cheers,

James
--
Good day for a change of scene. Repaper the bedroom wall.